Law, Advocacy, and Conflict Transformation: Student Trek to New York City
New York, NY, March 19-24, 2023
The Center for Careers and Internship is pleased to offer a fully funded Student Trek for 10-12 students to New York City over spring break from March 19-24, 2023. The objective is to expose students to real-world professional experiences that will inform their career exploration and other post-graduate planning. The theme is Law, Advocacy, and Conflict Transformation (please see here for more information on Kathryn Wasserman David Collaborative in Conflict Transformation). Topics we might explore with the connection to conflict include human rights, free speech, mediation, immigration, voting rights, civil rights, and housing.
This will be an immersive “living and learning” experience organized around opportunities to visit alumni at many different kinds of organizations—legal aid, the courts, public interest law firms and others doing pro-bono work, nonprofits and government agencies. We will also engage in daily reflection dinners with special guests. CCI staff members will accompany the students.
Application Process and Requirements:
- The deadline to apply is 11:55 pm on Sunday, January 29.
- The Trek is open to all enrolled students graduating in May 2023-May 2026.
- Strong candidates will be able to demonstrate a desire for a future career in any legal area through their coursework and/or activities as well as a strong interest in conflict transformation, law and advocacy. All majors welcome.
- Students must be able to travel to NYC from Midd (no exceptions) on Sunday, March 19 and participate in the entire program, returning to campus on Friday, March 24.
- Students will document the Trek experience with photos and reflections. In addition, attendance is required at pre-departure meetings.
- Participants must comply with Middlebury College COVID policy throughout the program, including but not limited to proof of vaccination and booster status.
- To help ensure that there is no barrier to participation, travel (including to and from NYC, lodging, meals, and related expenses will be paid.
Please contact CCI Advisor Tim Mosehauer with any questions: email@example.com