Middlebury students must apply for preapproval for these programs. 

Select a Program

SEA Education Association: Sea Semester

Washington Semester - American University

Williams-Mystic Maritime Studies Program

Woods Hole Semester in Environmental Science

Dartmouth Dual-Degree Engineering Program

Columbia Dual-Degree Engineering Program

Study Away at Monterey

Exchange Programs

Middlebury also has semester exchange programs with Spelman College, Swarthmore College, and several Vermont independent colleges, including Bennington College, Champlain College, Goddard College, Landmark College, Marlboro College, New England Culinary Institute, Norwich University, Saint Michael’s College, SIT, Southern Vermont College, Sterling College, and Vermont Law School. Middlebury students must apply for exchanges through International Programs, and spaces are limited.

Students studying on the Swarthmore and Spelman exchanges pay Middlebury’s comprehensive fee (financial aid applies). Middlebury students studying through the AVIC exchange pay Middlebury’s tuition (Middlebury’s tuition costs) and pay room and board to the host institution (the host institution’s room and board fees). Middlebury students eligible for financial aid may take financial aid to the AVIC exchange institutions (based on the cost of the program). All students applying for the AVIC exchange must apply for financial aid at their home institution.

Policies and Procedures

Students interested in studying off-campus at another U.S. college or university should review the College Handbook for policies and procedures.


Contact Stacey Thebodo, associate director of international programs, if you are interested in domestic off-campus study programs.

Study Abroad
Sunderland Language Center, First Floor
356 College Street
Middlebury, VT 05753