Noncredit Option

If you do not need the credit, then you must register for the Winter Term opt-out course.

Credit-Bearing Options


Contact the Center for Careers and Internships.

Independent Projects

Independent work is normally proposed through a student’s major and must be approved by the chair or director of that department or program.

Short-Term Study Abroad Programs

Contact International Programs for more information and application information. See additional information below.

General Guidelines 

  • All courses must meet for a minimum of 4 weeks, must carry at least 3 semester credits or 5 quarter credits, and meet for at least the same number of class hours as an equivalent/similar Middlebury course. [N.B.: language, laboratory science, studio art, introductory economics and calculus, and some other courses at Middlebury meet for more than the standard 30-36 hours per semester.] Courses that do not meet these minimum requirements are NOT transferable.
  • Only a program/course that meets the definition of “liberal arts,” and in which the student receives a grade of C– or better, may be applied to the Middlebury College degree.
  • Programs/courses graded on a pass/fail or audit basis are NOT transferable.
  • Online or remote courses are not eligible for transfer credit.
  • The grade earned will appear on your Middlebury transcript and will be counted in your GPA.
  • The transcript reflecting work completed must be from an accredited institution of higher education.
  • Please see the Middlebury College Handbook for full details and requirements for credit. 


Students must apply for preapproval for Winter Term study abroad programs:

Application deadline: October 15

Contact International Programs for application information.