Summer Programs Employment Information Checklist (Vermont Campus)

Faculty and staff are required to complete the following (as applicable to your situation) by the stated deadlines. Please check this page periodically for updates and additional information.

Required for International Employees

If you are outside of the United States and will need a visa to work at the Middlebury Language Schools, contact International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS),

If you are inside the United States and working at another U.S. institution in a visa category that allows you to be employed, contact ISSS with your current visa information (visa, passport, I-94 card, and DS-2019 or form that allows you to enter the U.S.) to confirm your eligibility to be employed at Middlebury College for the Language Schools. Note: a tourist or visitor visa will not allow you to be employed by Middlebury College.

All international faculty and staff are required to submit their visa/passport information by June 1. You should receive an email from informing you of your username and password.

Required for US Citizens and Permanent Residents

  • Complete the W-4 Form online (print and mail it to Human Resources, Middlebury College, 152 Maple Street, Suite 101, Middlebury, VT  05753, or scan and email to
  • Complete the declaration of health care coverage online (print and mail it to Human Resources, Middlebury College, 152 Maple Street, Suite 101, Middlebury, VT  05753, or scan and email to

Required for All Employees

  • Review Housing and Board Policies and enter your housing information for yourself and any family members who will accompany you to campus in the Housing Google.doc by March 1. You will have an opportunity to update your information at the end of April.
  • Enter classroom software/equipment needs in the Classroom Needs Request Form by March 1.
  • Set up your access to BannerWeb. (Helpful Information)
  • Activate your Middlebury network account and set the password (accounts for new employees will be available after April 1). This account is used for email, wireless access, and more. Language Schools communications during the summer are sent only to Middlebury email accounts. This includes links to training you will need to complete prior to arrival and information about your online course/instructor evaluations. (Helpful Information)
  • Rave is a contact tool to notify you in the event of a campus emergency.  If you will have a cell phone, please enter your cell number in the Rave system.
  • Obtain or renew ID cards for yourself and all dependents who will be residing at Middlebury during the summer.
  • In order to be paid, you will need to show specific documents to Human Resources when you arrive. Please check-in at the scheduled time for your program (HR Check-in Schedule).
  • All new employees must submit their CV to their respective school coordinator by June 1.


  • Summer employees on J-1 visas and their eligible dependents will be enrolled in the Exchange Visitor Accident and Sickness Insurance Plan, also known as the Summer School Employee Health Insurance Plan. Other summer employees may voluntarily apply for coverage (below). A summary of benefits is provided here. Please note that the plan for summer employees is an extension of the academic-year plan for students, with the same benefits but different start and end dates. For this reason, the detailed plan description is of the Student Health Insurance Plan. Again, the benefits are the same.

  • Submit the Application for Voluntary Health Insurance by May 1. Print and mail the form to Sandra Bonomo, Language Schools, Middlebury College, 14 Old Chapel Rd., Middlebury VT 05753, or scan and email a pdf to

General Pre-Arrival Information

If you plan on doing research that involves working with living human beings, you may need to get permission from the Institutional Review Board before you begin. The deadline for submitting proposals to the IRB is May 12.

Language Schools’ faculty and faculty spouses may use Parton Health Center on campus for certain types of medical care.

Familiarize yourself with Middlebury College policy and federal and Vermont state laws regarding drugs and alcohol.

Information on transportation to Middlebury.  If you are using a GPS to find your way to Public Safety, use 125 S. Main Street, Middlebury, VT 05753.

Information on Middlebury College Employee and Family Assistance Program

The Addison County Chamber of Commerce and maintain details on local businesses.  For information on outdoor activities, check out Trail Finder. A variety of activities are also available through the Middlebury Parks & Recreation department.

Information on local child care centers

Back to top>>


School-Specific Information

Chinese School: Pre-Arrival Information
French School: Pre-Arrival Information

Information was sent to faculty via email on May 18, from If you did not receive this, please contact the French School coordinator, Sheila Schwaneflugel.

German School: Pre-Arrival Information

Opening schedule and additional information will be sent via email, from your coordinator.

School of Hebrew: Pre-Arrival Information
Japanese School: Pre-Arrival Information
Portuguese School: Pre-Arrival Information
School of Russian: Pre-Arrival Information
Spanish School: Pre-Arrival Information

7-Week Program Pre-Arrival Documents:

Opening Schedule for Spanish School Bilingual Staff


6-Week Graduate Program Pre-Arrival Documents:

Opening Schedule for 6-Week Faculty