Summer Programs Employment Information Checklist (Mills Campus)

Faculty and staff are required to complete the following tasks (as applicable to your situation) by the stated deadlines. Please check this page periodically for updates and additional information.

Required for International Employees

If you are outside of the United States and will need a visa to work at Middlebury Language Schools, contact International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS),

If you are inside the United States and working at another U.S. institution in a visa category that allows you to be employed, contact ISSS with your current visa information (visa, passport, I-94 card, and DS-2019 or form that allows you enter the U.S.) to confirm your eligibility to be employed at Middlebury College for the Language Schools. Note: a tourist or visitor visa will not allow you to be employed by Middlebury College.

All international faculty and staff are required to submit their visa/passport information by June 1. See email sent by for username and password.

Required for US Citizens and Permanent Residents

Complete the W-4 Form online (or print and mail it to Human Resources, Middlebury College, 152 Maple Street, Suite 101, Middlebury, VT  05753, or email to

Required for All Employees

  • Review Housing and Board Policies for the Mills campus and enter your housing information for yourself and any family members who will accompany you to campus in the Housing Google doc by March 1You will have an opportunity to update your information at the end of April.
  • For Italian and Korean only: enter classroom software/equipment needs in the Classroom Needs Request Form by March 1Submitting the information after this date could impact being assigned an appropriate classroom.
  • Set up your access to BannerWeb. (Helpful Information)
  • Using BannerWeb, activate your cell phone number to receive emergency notifications:
    1. Select Personal Information;
    2. Select Update Cell Phone for Emergency Communications;
    3. Enter your cell phone number;
    4. Click Save.
  • Activate your Middlebury network account and set the password (accounts for new employees will be available after April 1). This account is used for email, wireless access, and more. Language Schools communications during the summer are sent only to Middlebury email accounts. This includes links to training you will need to complete prior to arrival and information about your online course/instructor evaluations. (Helpful Information)).
  • If you or your dependents do not yet have a photo ID, send a passport-style photo to, in .jpg format, by May 19.
  • In order to be paid, you will need to show specific documents to Human Resources when you arrive.  Schedule summer employee check-in for Human Resources is here.
  • All new employees must submit their CV to their respective school coordinator by June 1.
  • Complete the Mail Service Agreement Form online.


  • Summer employees on J-1 visas and their eligible dependents will be enrolled in the Exchange Visitor Accident and Sickness Insurance Plan, also known as the Summer School Employee Health Insurance Plan. Other summer employees may voluntarily apply for coverage (below). A summary of benefits is provided here. Please note that the plan for summer employees is an extension of the academic-year plan for students, with the same benefits but different start and end dates. For this reason, the detailed plan description is of the Student Health Insurance Plan. Again, the benefits are the same.

  • Submit the Application for Voluntary Health Insurance by May 1. Print and mail the form to Sandra Bonomo, Language Schools, Middlebury College, 14 Old Chapel Rd., Middlebury VT 05753, or scan and email a pdf to

  • Set up Payroll Direct Deposit (US bank accounts only)

General Pre-Arrival Information

If you plan on doing research that involves working with living human beings, you may need to get permission from the Institutional Review Board before you begin. The deadline for submitting proposals to the IRB is May 12.

Drugs and Alcohol - Familiarize yourself with college policy and Vermont state law regarding drugs and alcohol.

Information on Middlebury College Employee and Family Assistance Program

Emergency Information

Mills College Public Safety 510.430.5555

Please program this number into your cell phone and use for medical emergencies as well as lock-outs.

Mills College Personal Safety Information

Mills College Emergency Map

Miscellaneous Information

Getting Around the Bay Area – Information for Faculty and Staff
The Oakland Chamber of Commerce: (510) 874-4800
Oakland Convention and Visitors Bureau
City of Oakland Official Website

Transportation, Car Rental, Taxi & Shuttle

Friendly Cab, East Bay (510) 536-3000

Yellow Cab, San Francisco (415) 333-3333

Bayporter Express (877) 467-1800 or (415) 467-1800

Super Shuttle (800) 258-3826 or (415) 558-8500

Taxi and Shuttle bus services from Oakland Airport

Taxi and Shuttle bus services from San Francisco Airport


Transit.511.Org is a helpful tool to navigate Bay Area Public Transit, including AC Transit buses, BART trains (subways) and ferries. Transit.511.Org includes a Trip Planner.  By typing in start and end destinations or landmarks, Transit.511.Org shows public transportation routes, fares and schedules.


While Middlebury College does not provide childcare services, the Mills College Children’s School offers summer camp programs for elementary school aged children, K-5. Space in the programs is limited and fills up quickly, and their schedules may not coincide with your professional commitments. Please contact the Children’s School on the Mills campus, to learn more about the programs: (510) 430-2118 or or visit the website for additional information.  You can also check out their Facebook page at

Summer camp schedules are typically posted in March, so be sure to contact the school around that time to help ensure childcare that fits your needs.

Back to top>>

School-Specific Information

Arabic School
Italian School

Textbook list (this is the list that students will use to purchase books for your courses)

Canvas links (Canvas is a learning management software which has replaced Moodle)

Tax information

More information will be coming in May, 2017

School of Korean