You’re invited to visit Middlebury College and experience campus for yourself. Our beautiful location in the heart of Vermont is within a day’s drive of most Northeastern cities and a short flight from many airports.
Planning Your Trip
We look forward to welcoming you to Middlebury! Here are some tips for planning your campus visit.
- We encourage you to plan your trip to Middlebury in advance. Our programs require preregistration, and some area lodgings tend to book up quickly.
- Our hometown, Middlebury, Vermont, is highly walkable, with eateries, shops, museums, and the 16-mile Trail Around Middlebury (TAM) all a short distance from the center of campus. Burlington, Vermont’s biggest city, is less than an hour’s drive north.
- Our in-person offerings continue to evolve. Our current visit program is limited to campus tours, but our offerings continue to evolve. In addition, depending on how COVID-19 restrictions change in the coming weeks, we may have to cancel existing tours. Check back often for updates.
Visit Safety Protocols
Please note that all visitors to Middlebury College must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or have a valid medical or religious exemption; visitors must be prepared to show proof of vaccination upon arrival. Per CDC guidelines, people are considered “fully vaccinated” after they receive the final dose of a vaccine. Visitors should also be prepared to wear masks at all times.
- Please be sure you are able to abide by Vermont’s current travel guidelines.
- We have limited tour availability each day; you must register in advance.
- Each tour will have a limited number of families joining, and each registering student is limited to three additional family members/guests. The walking tour will last approximately one hour.
- Our campus tour route remains outside at all times; we cannot currently permit visitors inside any campus buildings.
- You and the members of your group will be expected to wear face coverings and maintain physical distancing.
- You will not be able to interact with students, faculty, or staff other than those on your assigned tour.
- Visitors are not permitted to come to campus under the following conditions:
- They have been exposed to someone with COVID-19 in the 14 days prior to arrival.
- They are sick or have symptoms of COVID-19.
- They have tested positive for COVID-19 within 10 days prior to arrival.
Campus Tours: Preregistration Required
Your tour experience will last approximately 90 minutes, including one hour (two miles) of walking. The current tour route does not enter any campus buildings.
Daily Tours Monday through Friday, starting September 20th
Please arrive 15 minutes before the start of your tour so we can check you in. Check-in takes place outside the Admissions Office in the welcome tent.
Our campus tours are a great opportunity for you and your family to get an overview of Middlebury’s campus with a current student as your guide. Each tour will have a limited number of families joining, and each registering student is limited to three additional family members/guests.
Please register for a campus tour prior to traveling to campus so we can accommodate you, and all visitors, safely. You will see the exteriors of a number of campus buildings, but we will not be entering any facilities.
Middlebury’s campus is ADA accessible. If you or someone in your party requires accommodation (e.g., wheelchair-accessible tour or ASL interpreter) please contact Admissions at least two weeks in advance.
Class Visits and Group Tours
We are not currently offering class visits or group tours.
Middlebury College is located in the heart of the town of Middlebury, Vermont. We are approximately a three-hour drive from Boston and six hours from New York City. The nearest airport is Burlington International Airport, which is 35 miles away.
Our street address:
Middlebury Admissions Office
Emma Willard House
131 South Main Street
Middlebury, VT 05753
Our welcome center tent is located adjacent to the Admissions Office. Please check in at the tent. The Admissions Office is currently closed to off-campus visitors.
Visitor parking is available in the lot next to the Admissions Office or in the lot behind the Mahaney Arts Center, a short walk from our office.
- Jessica’s Vital Transit
- Tri-Valley Transit (formerly Addison County Transit Resources)
- Burlington Taxi - BTV Shuttle
Local Road Conditions
We encourage you to consult with Vermont 511 for road conditions. There is extensive roadwork taking place around Middlebury in the summer of 2021 that may result in some local detours.
Visitor Pet Policy
Middlebury College is a pet-friendly campus. However, for the well-being of our visitors, students, and staff members, pets (with the exception of service dogs) are not permitted inside Emma Willard House. We do provide a shaded area on our back patio for your pet’s convenience, and we have a water bowl to borrow at our front desk.
Lodging and Restaurants
Picturesque and vibrant, Middlebury has long drawn visitors from around the world. A quintessential New England town in the heart of Addison County, Vermont, Middlebury is home to a variety of hotels, inns, and bed-and-breakfasts, and a wide array of restaurants. Burlington, Vermont, the state’s largest metro area, is approximately 35 miles north, with many more hotels, eateries, and tourist attractions.
Where to Stay in Middlebury
You can choose from small inns to larger hotels within walking distance of or a short drive from campus. Lodging that is ADA accessible is noted with an asterisk. Please be aware that accessibility varies and may be limited.
- The Middlebury Inn*
- Courtyard by Marriott*
- The Stone Mill Lodging*
- Swift House Inn*
- The Waybury Inn
- Robert Frost Mountain Cabins*
- Tourterelle Inn and Dining
- Basin Harbor Resort*
Where to Eat
Enjoy some of our students’ favorite eateries within walking distance of or a short drive from campus. Restaurants that are ADA accessible are noted with an asterisk. Please be aware that accessibility varies and may be limited.
- American Flatbread*
- Costello’s Market
- Fire and Ice*
- Green Peppers*
- Haymaker Bun Company
- Jessica’s at the Swift House Inn*
- The Mad Taco*
- Magic Wok
- Middlebury Bagel and Deli*
- Mister Up’s
- Morgan’s Tavern at the Middlebury Inn*
- Noonie’s Deli*
- Otter Creek Brewery
- Otter Creek Bakery
- Rosie’s Restaurant*
- Royal Oak Coffee
- Sabai Sabai
- Shafer’s Market*
- Taste of India
- Tourterelle Inn and Dining*
- Two Brothers Tavern
- The Waybury Inn