All students interested in studying Spanish must take the placement exam. There is no placement exam for Portuguese. Students with prior knowledge of Portuguese should consult with the Department Chair.
For more information on our courses for planning and advising purposes, please read the linked documents below.
As a general rule the online placement test is activated at the beginning of August for use by students matriculating in September, and again at the beginning of January for students matriculating in February.
Before new students can take any online placement exam they must activate their Middlebury user account.
The test will also be activated shortly before current students register for fall and spring semesters.
Accessing the Spanish Placement Exam
- Activate your Middlebury user account. If you have already activated your account, proceed to Step 2.
- If you have not activated your account, open your web browser and enter this URL: http://go.middlebury.edu/accounts, then follow the on-screen instructions provided.
- Go to https://middlebury.instructure.com/enroll/6PKHCM
- Enroll in the exam. You will arrive at the enrollment screen. It indicates the name of the exam that you will be taking with the heading, Enroll in Spanish Department Placement Exam. Click once on the Enroll in Course button at the upper right corner of the screen to continue. The screen will change to indicate that you have successfully enrolled, and two buttons, Go to your Dashboard and Go to the Course, will appear at the upper right corner of the screen.
- Complete the exam. Click once on the Go to the Course button. A new screen with the exam name and instructions will appear. Read the instructions completely, then click where indicated to begin. Do not click the “Submit” button until you have completed the entire exam. You must complete the exam in one sitting, or you will get closed out. It should take 30–60 minutes.
- Results will be communicated during orientation week. (If you take this exam outside of the normal testing times, i.e. while classes are in session, please contact the department coordinator to access your results).
The purpose of this placement exam is to assist in optimal placement at Middlebury, so do not use a dictionary or other materials to assist you.