Required for the Major
Majors must complete no fewer than eleven courses in the department, to include:
- Logic Requirement: PHIL 0180 (to be taken by the end of the sophomore year)
- History Requirement: any two courses in the history of philosophy at the 0200 or 0300 level.
- Distribution Requirement:
- One course in Ethics and Social & Political Philosophy (ESP); and
- One course in Epistemology, Language, Metaphysics, Mind and Science (ELMMS).
- Upper-level Course Requirement: Three courses at the 0300 or 0400 level, at least one of which must be a 0400-level course. (Students may count only one cross-listed 300-level course taught by faculty outside the Philosophy Department towards their upper-level course requirement. 0400-level courses will not normally satisfy the distribution requirement. Courses taken while abroad will not generally be allowed to substitute for the required 0400-level course.)
- Senior Independent Research Requirement
- At least two other philosophy courses, in order to fulfill the eleven-course requirement.
Cognate courses may be substituted for no more than two departmental electives, but will not satisfy the departmental distribution requirement; such substitutions require the prior approval of a major’s departmental adviser, and must be at the 0200-level or above.
Senior Independent Research Requirement
Majors must complete a one-semester independent research project (PHIL 0710) in the fall of their senior year. Topics and advisers will be decided through consultation with members of the department. PHIL 0710 includes participation in the senior project workshop held for all students completing their independent work.
Students will be awarded departmental honors if and only if they receive a) at least an A- average in courses counted toward the major, and b) an A- on their senior project. Students will be awarded high honors if and only if they receive a) at least an A- average in courses counted toward the major, and b) an A on their senior project.
Required for the Joint Major
For the philosophy component of a joint major, students must take nine philosophy courses, including
- PHIL 0180, to be taken by the end of the sophomore year;
- One 0400-level seminar to be taken in the last three semesters;
- A course in each of the following:
- One course in the History of Philosophy (HIST)
- One course in Ethics and Social & Political Philosophy (ESP) and
- One course in Epistemology, Language, Metaphysics, Mind and Science (ELMMS)
- A course in which the student completes a senior independent project that shows evidence of having integrated the training of both major fields. (Normally this course will be PHIL 0710, though other models may be appropriate.) The topic and scope of the independent project is to be determined in consultation with both major advisers.
- At least three other philosophy courses, in order to fulfill the nine-course requirement.
Required for the Minor
A total of six courses in philosophy, including PHIL 0180 and at least one course at the 0300 or 0400 level. Minors wishing to take a 0400-level seminar must have completed three other philosophy courses first. Enrollment priority in 0400-level seminars will be given to majors. Students electing the philosophy minor are encouraged to consult with faculty members in the Philosophy Department about course planning.