The Philosophy Department at Middlebury College seeks to promote the following skills among its students.
- The ability to recognize, analyze, and evaluate structures of arguments, e.g., by identifying the key assumptions, theses, and justifications for a given position.
- The ability to compare views, to formulate arguments, and to communicate clearly in speech and writing, particularly in the service of creative and critical problem solving.
- Familiarity with the central figures and texts in the history of philosophy, both ancient and modern.
- Broad acquaintance with, and thoughtful reflection upon, contemporary philosophical topics and practices.
- The capacity for independent research and critical inquiry.
- The ability to engage in discussion of alternative positions with intellectual honesty and respect.