Funding for faculty research and development

Here you will find information on various forms of support available for faculty research, course development, or other needs.

Faculty Development Funds

Faculty Professional Development Fund (FPDF) is available for all teaching faculty on an annual basis.  It can support research needs such as travel, supplies and membership fees.

Long Range Professional Development Program (LPDF) are funds available for tenured faculty only and are authorized for projects expected to continue for more than one year, and up to five years.

The Undergraduate Collaborative Research Fund (UCRF) is available to support faculty who need to hire undergraduates to further their research.

The Faculty Research Assistant Fund (FRAF) provides wages for student assistants for faculty scholarship or course development.

Funds are available to assist faculty with production costs and reprint costs for scholarly publications through the Scholarly Publication Subvention Fund (SPSF).

Start-up funds are negotiated during the hiring process and are to be expended within two years.


Course Development and Curricular Programming

Needs in the area of course development and curricular programming may be supported by two funds.

Ada Howe Kent

Fund will be used to fund initiatives to support faculty development.  Each year, Ada Howe Kent funds support a specific topic which will be announced in the summer before the funding is available.

Academic Outreach Endowment Grants for Community Connected Teaching, Learning and Research (local and global)

(Administered by Diane Munroe, Assistant Director, and Ashley Laux, Director, Community Engagement)

  • Supports the development and design of community-based learning opportunities that align community needs with course learning outcomes and/or research objectives
  • Up to $4,000 in all disciplines
  • Deadline: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis for funding requests for Fall Term 2021 as well as for Winter and Spring Term 2022.
  • Please contact Diane Munroe, with any questions as you are preparing your application
  • For further information: see Community Engagement website or 

Gladstone Award Honoring Excellence in Teaching

(Administered by the VPAA)

  • Recognizes faculty who have exhibited exceptional teaching and mentoring within and beyond the classroom.
  • Supports a project that will enhance teaching or support collaborative faculty/student work outside the classroom.
  • Grant of $10,000 to be expended within eighteen months of the date of the award.
  • Call for nominations will be released early in the spring semester with proposals due by the middle of the spring semester.

Other Faculty Support Funds

Leave Moving Subsidy

  • Requests should be made by completing the Google form here
  • Grants are normally made only to those faculty members who research or other leave activity takes place outside Middlebury, and who will be leaving Middlebury for at least three months of their leave
  • Please review the policy on this subsidy

Dependent Care Program for Faculty Professional Development Activity

  • Requests should be submitted to the Office of the Dean for Faculty Development and Research
  • Please review the policy on this subsidy

Time & Effort Forms

Time & Effort forms will be provided to collect summer salary, or if you have received a grant that provides support for your leave.  If your grant includes funding for grant salary, you will need to complete the appropriate form and submit it to Steve Marino in Grants and Contracts (MIIS) in order to receive a payment. He can be reached via email

Academic Administration
Old Chapel
Middlebury College
Middlebury, VT 05753