Leave Moving Policy

Faculty going on leave may be eligible for partial reimbursement of moving expenses to and/or from the principal place of leave activity. Normally, these subsidies are available for faculty whose research or leave activity takes place outside of Middlebury for at least three months of the leave.  

Guidelines for appropriate use of the funding are below.



  • reimbursement for mileage at the college rate per mile or gas and tolls--not both
  • moderately priced meals en route for all immediate family members*
  • moderately priced overnight accommodations en route for all immediate family members*
  • economy airline tickets and/or train tickets for immediate family members*
  • Middlebury College will honor fares arranged through Accent Travel (800.666.3125), Milne Travel (800.906.4563) or fares proved to be more economical than those offered by Accent or Milne. If the fare charge is less than your moving allotment, the College can be billed directly.
  • moving company bills (we prefer to reimburse you, not pay the mover)
  • taxi to Middlebury from Burlington Airport
  • mailing of packages and books
  • boxes for mailing and packing
  • costs associated with transporting household pets

* Federal law requires that expenses incurred for family members be treated as taxable income.


  • repairs of any kind
  • new tires for vehicles
  • luggage
  • purchases associated with setting up housekeeping
  • rent on apartments

All reimbursements are processed in Oracle. Receipts for expenditures must accompany requests for reimbursement, If you have questions related to your approved moving allowance and reimbursements please contact Kathleen Parent, Budget Analyst for Academic Affairs (kparent@middlebury.edu 2207).


Academic Administration
Old Chapel
Middlebury College
Middlebury, VT 05753