Students with specific health and safety questions prior to departure are encouraged to contact us to discuss the details.

Prepare for Good Health Abroad

Contact your health care provider(s) to obtain a copy of your medical records to carry abroad with you, including the following:

  • Personal health history
  • Medication list
  • Recent physical
  • Immunization record
  • Hospitalizations (including history and discharge summary)  

Complete the Health Information form in your study abroad portal.

Make a plan to maintain your health and well-being while abroad.  If you need information about the health and wellness resources you will have access to while you are abroad, please reach out to your study abroad advisor as soon as possible.

If you currently receive treatment for an ongoing medical concern, consider scheduling a future appointment with a health care provider at your School Abroad (where available) to avoid a lapse in care. Contact your advisor for help with this process.

If you are currently taking any prescription medications, talk to your health care provider and/or insurance company about the following:

  • Taking a copy of the prescription with you abroad that also indicates the generic name of the drug (not the U.S. brand name) and information concerning its use.
  • Prescribing enough to last you for the duration of your stay abroad. (Note: Some countries may have classifications for drugs that are different from those in the U.S. and you should look into these laws.)
  • Getting your insurance to cover the entire amount (some may only cover one month at a time, but you may be able to receive reimbursements).

Many drugs that are not generally available in the U.S. are available over the counter in other countries. Make sure that you are aware of the ingredients of the medications you purchase and be aware of any complications or drug interactions that might occur if you take them.


Prior to studying abroad, your immunizations should be up to date. Currently, inoculations for yellow fever are required only for students traveling to Cameroon, although your doctor may recommend certain others.

If you do receive inoculations before going abroad, you must obtain an International Certificate of Vaccination (WHO card) from your doctor. Keep this with your passport at all times.

Check the most recent Center for Disease Control and Prevention recommendations.

Dental Care

You should have a dental checkup and complete any dental work prior to departure. The health insurance that Middlebury provides for you while abroad does not cover routine dental examinations.

Eye Care

If you wear glasses or contact lenses, take an extra pair with you as well as a copy of your prescription. Contact lens solution is generally available overseas. The health insurance that Middlebury provides for you while abroad does not cover routine eye examinations.


Severe allergies are an important consideration in several of our sites abroad and not all students with life-threatening allergies can be accommodated. Please contact us to discuss your specific needs and potential study site(s) to determine what is possible.