Middlebury Schools Abroad students are automatically enrolled in a health insurance plan through GeoBlue for the duration of their programs.
GeoBlue Plan Details
GeoBlue health insurance coverage begins on the first day of your program abroad and ends on the last, with an option to purchase additional months of coverage by contacting the insurance provider—see more information below. This coverage is mandatory and cannot be waived.
GeoBlue will issue your insurance card and proof of insurance letter (required for some countries to process your visa), as well as an explanation of benefits, prior to your departure. Please check the coverage provided through this policy carefully. If you judge it to be insufficient you may wish to purchase supplemental insurance through a separate provider.
The plan includes the following:
- Up to $250,000 medical coverage (accident/sickness) with zero deductible
- Medical evacuation and repatriation coverage
- Emergency service with 24-hour worldwide telephone assistance
This plan does not cover you while you are in the U.S. or your home country, so you should plan ahead for other coverage if you return to the U.S. or your home country before your program is over.
You may elect to purchase an additional 30 days of coverage under Middlebury’s group plan with GeoBlue if you plan to travel early to your site or to remain after the program ends. To enroll in an additional 30 days of coverage under Middlebury’s group plan, please follow the directions below:
- Have your credit card ready and visit GeoBlue enrollment
- Read the statement written by GeoBlue Insurance. If you agree, click “Agree”
- Click “New” (this will add 30 days to the policy Middlebury purchased for you under the group plan)
- From Date (if adding coverage to the end of the program, this should be the day after your current enrollment ends; if adding coverage before the group plan begins, this should be 30 days prior to your program’s start date)
- To Date (make this a 30-day increment, including your coverage start date and end date; GeoBlue charges for coverage in 30-day increments)
- Email address
- Mailing address
- Home Country
- Host Country
For assistance or questions regarding enrollment, please call GeoBlue (888) 243-2358.
Note: If you are trying to extend coverage from a spring term program past June 30 of that year, you will have to wait until after Middlebury has contracted insurance for the following academic year, which we do in April (the rate will be slightly different, and GeoBlue will not let you extend coverage into a year for which we have not yet contracted).
Students wishing to enroll in additional coverage beyond one 30-day increment must enroll in an independent, individual insurance plan. Students interested in enrolling independently through GeoBlue can visit the website here: https://www.geobluetravelinsurance.com/products/single-trip/voyager-5-overview.cfm
For Middlebury College Students
Middlebury students who are enrolled in Gallagher Student Health Insurance during the academic year may find themselves with a period of time during which they are not covered in any insurance. If this is the case, you can contact Gallagher directly to purchase one or two months of insurance to cover the time prior to or after your study abroad program.
Please contact us.