All graduating American studies majors will be able to do the following:
- Understand the development of American cultures in various historical contexts.
- Situate U.S. national cultures and communities within a global context.
- Competently utilize the theories and methods of American studies.
- Apply critical reading skills to various media and types of texts.
- Culturally and historically contextualize a range of identity categories (e.g., race and ethnicity, gender, disability, sexuality, and class).