The Program in Molecular Biology and Biochemistry (MBBC) offers students an integrated approach to examining life at the macromolecular and cellular levels.
We are an intellectual community of students and faculty with a common interest in applying a personal, rigorous, multidisciplinary approach to the examination of life at the macromolecular, cellular, and organismal levels.
The purpose of our program is to provide an excellent molecular biology education grounded in strong fundamentals and finished with advanced opportunities, all within a residential liberal arts setting.
Molecular biology studies the flow and regulation of genomic information as it relates to the development and function of cells and organisms. Majoring in MBBC in a liberal arts setting provides you with an excellent foundation for becoming an informed citizen in an increasingly technological world.
We value critical independent thought, a multi-disciplinary approach, and effective oral and written communication. We achieve these elements of education through relevant course work and laboratory projects in which students and faculty work together to explore the following:
- The fundamental concepts of molecular biology and biochemistry and their relationships with other biological, chemical, physical, and informational disciplines.
- The study of proteins and nucleic acids role in cell structure, replication, development, regulation, and transmission of genetic information.
- The actual use of experimental methods, analytical tools, and genetic manipulations to discover new knowledge about biological organisms at the molecular level.
See our learning goals.
In the liberal arts tradition, the historical development of the field and its relevance to current interdisciplinary questions are emphasized. An important program goal is excellence of enquiry and endeavor, which often reach fruition in independent research projects.
Students have numerous opportunities to collaborate on research with faculty and fellow students, often presenting the results of their work at major conferences around the country. See more about Student and Faculty Work.
Center for Careers and Internships
Discover what’s next with the Center for Careers and Internships (CCI)! As you embark on your post-Middlebury journey, CCI’s staff is available to help guide you.
- Explore their comprehensive Major Guides, which provide suggestions for campus involvement, internships, and real-life career examples of Middlebury alumni.
- Connect with alumni and professionals worldwide through Midd2Midd, Middlebury’s exclusive networking platform designed to foster meaningful mentorships and industry connections.
- Navigate the various career paths associated with your major through CCI’s Career Communities Pages, offering valuable advice from our advisors and tailored recommendations for jobs, and internships.
- Stay updated on the latest job and internship opportunities with Handshake, ensuring you never miss a chance to gain practical experience in your chosen field.
Our MBBC majors go onto graduate school programs in molecular biology and biochemistry and related fields, enter professional schools in medicine, dentistry, and other health professions, and gain employment in the biotechnology and pharmaceutical industries. Read more about our alumni.