Opened in the fall of 1999, McCardell Bicentennial Hall replaced the older science center, and combined under one roof the disciplines of Biology, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physics, Psychology, Geology, Geography, and Environmental Studies.
McCardell Bicentennial hall includes 108,000 net square feet, about 190,000 gross square feet, of instructional space, library, offices, student and faculty research space, and support space.
The science library occupies the lower two floors of the west wing of McCardell Bicentennial Hall, an area of about 6,500 square feet. The attractive study spaces in McCardell Bicentennial Hall, within the library and without, have made the science library and the Great Hall a focus of student life.
Our modern instrumentation is used by students and faculty in both traditional courses and a wide range of cutting-edge, collaborative research projects.
Our complement of state-of-the-art instrumentation includes the following. View the gallery below for images:
- Bruker D2 Phaser with Lynxeye XE-T Detector (2022)
- Nicolet Summit PRO FTIR (two) (organic laboratories (2022)
- Picoquant Fluotime 250 Fluorescence Lifetime Spec (2022)
- Jeol ECZ600R 600 MHz NMR (2021)
- Nicolet iS50 FTIR with MCT-A and DTGS detectors (research) (2016)
- Tescan Vega 3 LMU Scanning Electron Microscope with Oxford Aztec Synergy Energy Dispersive
- X-ray Spectrometer (2013)
- Agilent 8453 Photodiode Array UV/Vis (2012)
- Cary 6000i UV/VIS/NIR (2002)
- Genesys 10 & 30 Spectrometers (various)
- Perkin Elmer AAnalyst 600 Graphite Furnace Atomic Absorption (2008)
- Oxford Circular Dichroism (2008)
- Cary 4000 UV/VIS (2005)
- Flow Injection Cold Vapor Mercury AA (1997)
- ChromatographyChromatograph & Mass Spectrometry
- Agilent 8860 GC 5977B MS (organic laboratories) (2021)
- Waters Xevo G2-XS QToF UPLC-MS with PDA and ELS detectors (2016)
- ThermoFisher iCAP-Q Inductively Coupled Plasma Mass Spec (2014)
- Agilent 6890 GC 5975 MS (trace analysis) (2006)
- Agilent 6890 GC-FID (2006)
- Biochemical Thermo Scientific Nanodrop OneC (2017)
- ChemiDoc XRS gel scanner (Biorad) (2014)
- Fisher refrigerated incubator shaker (2014)
- BioTek Synergy HTX (2015), Epoch (2011), Synergy HT (2002), and plate readers
- Sorvall RC-5B centrifuge (2008)
- French Press Cell Disrupter
- Ultrasonic Power Corporation sonicator
- ISCO FPLC System (pump, fraction collector, and UA-6 UV/Vis detector)