Study Abroad and MIIS+1
Study Abroad Options: We strongly encourage students to make use of all offerings in Linguistics that are available to you while you are away from campus, be it abroad at international universities including the Middlebury Schools Abroad, the Middlebury Summer Language Schools, and the Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey (MIIS). Meet with your advisor to figure out the best course of study, so we can make sure that you will get credit for those Linguistics classes.
One-year Master’s Degree (4+1) at MIIS: Middlebury students with a minor in Linguistics—provided that they take a set of courses to meet MIIS requirements—can opt for an accelerated entrance into either the Masters in Teaching Foreign Language or the Masters in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages. Other relevant MA programs at MIIS include: Translation & Interpretation, Conference Interpretation, Translation & Localization Management.
Middlebury recently revised the requirements and process for getting an accelerated Master’s degree at the Middlebury Institute of International Studies in Monterey. The process is now more flexible and easier for students to navigate. Students receive direct feedback on the kinds of courses they should take at the undergraduate level that will allow them to complete their professional training in an accelerated fashion and begin their professional career more rapidly. A student can complete a master’s degree in as little as a year or year and a half. Additionally there is no longer a statute of limitations to when a student can take advantage of this opportunity. The master’s degree may be completed at any point in a student’s career.
Benefits of an accelerated degree in Monterey:
- Credit reductions and shorter timeframe mean less expensive degree program.
- Ability to more rapidly begin professional career in a field of your choice, in a field that has impact.
- Emphasis on individualized mentoring and experiential learning opportunities similar to that at the college.
- Open, engaged, collaborative and motivated student body that seeks to make a difference in the world.
- Eligible for $10,000 legacy scholarship
- Opportunity to continue your studies in a picturesque natural environment. One of the truly beautiful places in the world.
Examples of undergraduate courses that are already earning you credit in Monterey
- Introduction to TESOL
- Phonetics and Phonology
- Language, Culture, and Society
- Introduction to Linguistics
- Second Language Acquisition
- Discourse Analysis
For more information contact Visiting Assistant Professor Orion Lewis at firstname.lastname@example.org. Professor Lewis can fill you in on what the process looks like, talk over your options, and put you in touch directly with program directors in Monterey who can advise you on courses to take at the college and the extent to which they’re willing to reduce your course load at the graduate level. For more information go to http://www.middlebury.edu/international/Middlebury-Monterey/dualdegree