COVID-19: Essential Information

Study Beyond Vermont

There are several options for studying outside Vermont, including:

Food Studies Abroad are tracks within Middlebury's Study Abroad programs.  If you sign up for the Food Studies track, you will take food- or agriculture-related courses at the host university and engage in an internship.  You will need to have intermediate or advanced proficiency in the language for these programs.

In addition, there are excellent international programs offered outside Middlebury College, focusing on food issues, which do not require foreign language proficiency.  In most cases, you will have to pay your own way; but the program may be worth the extra expense to you.  A few that stand out:

  • Center for Food & Sustainability Studies at Umbra Institute in Perugia, Italy, offers curricular concentrations in Food Studies and Environmental Studies & Sustainability. Students take an Italian class and then choose three or four food- or sustainability-related courses. All courses include co-curricular field trips and students earn a certificate. Credit-bearing, food-related internships are also available.
  • The School for International Training offers semester and summer programs in 80 countries on a variety of themes including the politics of land and water, sustainability, environment and climate change.
  • Crete's Culinary Sanctuaries on the island of Crete, Greece, offers courses focusing on nature, culture, cooking and traditional cuisine, and organic agriculture.

Ask Molly Anderson for more information on these programs, if interested!