You have decided to declare economics as a major. Great!

Selecting an Advisor 

Declaring is an important step and should be done as soon as possible to ensure major access to courses at registration. The economics department has dozens of wonderful faculty members to choose from and we encourage you to check out their profiles and fields of interest. You are welcome to set up a time to meet with as many as you would like before choosing an advisor.

Advisor Request Form

Alternately, we have created an Economics Advisor Request Form to gather a little information to help students who would prefer assistance getting matched with an available advisor.

This form is also used to help distribute advisees more equitably within the department when a student reaches out to a faculty member to request them as an advisor and that faculty member is not available to take on more advisees. The economics department coordinator will contact you regarding advisor options based on the information you submit and availability. Even after you choose (or are matched with) an advisor you should feel free to discuss anything with any of our department members. It is also important to note that if your interests or needs change, you can change advisors at any time.

Important note: Requests will be reviewed as time allows so please be patient. Major declarations will be processed prior to the beginning of each registration period.

Additional Help

We hope you find this information helpful. If you have any questions regarding this information, please email them to the department coordinator, Amy Holbrook at, who will address them as time allows.

Frequently Asked Questions


Any time after the first semester but no later than the end of their third semester.


The economics department has moved to handling major declarations electronically. Please use the fillable Major Declaration/Change Form, which can be found on the Registrar’s FormsOnce you have completed all of your information on the form, you should forward the form to your new advisor to sign. Once they have signed, they will forward the form to the academic coordinator who signs on behalf of the department chair.  After which, the coordinator will email the form to you with a welcome note, copying the chair, your new advisor, and the Registrar’s office who is responsible for updating your information in the system.


After receiving approval from a faculty member to become your new advisor, you would complete the same form that you used to declare, the Major Declaration/Change Form

It is a multipurpose form used to a) declare a major, b) change or drop a major, and c) change an advisor. 

You simply complete your information at the top, select that you are changing advisors, have your new advisor sign the form, and submit it to the Registrar’s office.  The chair’s signature is not necessary for an advisor change. This can all be done via email and it is helpful to copy the department coordinator so she may update your records within the department.