Middlebury enrolls a limited number of transfer students in September and February depending upon available space.
Applicants who have been or are currently enrolled as full-time degree seeking students at another college or university must apply as transfer students.
The majority of transfer students are admitted as sophomores or first-semester juniors, and preference is given to those students who have completed at least a full year of college work upon entry. The high school record is weighed heavily and candidates must be in good standing at their current college. If your college does not give grades, written faculty appraisals must be submitted.
- Please fill out the appropriate Common Application for transfers. If eligible, you can apply for a fee waiver request through the Common Application site.
- High School Transcripts
- Please include your official secondary school transcripts from all high schools you have attended.
- Secondary School Final Report
- This is the form from the Common Application to be completed by your high school counselor or registrar confirming your academic standing and disciplinary record in high school.
- College Transcripts
- Please include your official college transcripts from all colleges you have attended.
- Midterm Reports
- If you are currently enrolled in college classes, you must take this form from the Common Application to each of your current professors to get progress grades and your professors’ signatures. If you are not currently enrolled in college classes, please upload a statement via your checklist to your applicant portal. Access is provided in your acknowledgement email.
- College Report
- This is the form from the Common Application to be completed by your College Dean or Registrar confirming your academic standing and disciplinary record at current institution. If you have attended more than one college or university, Middlebury will require a College Report from each institution.
- Academic Evaluator Recommendation
- This form from the Common Application must be completed by one of your college professors and accompanied by a letter of recommendation.
- College Course Descriptions
- In a Word document, please list the course descriptions from your institution’s course catalog for each class you have taken. Also include course descriptions from any previous institutions you have attended. Upload these to your applicant portal. Access is provided in your acknowledgement email.
- English Proficiency Test
- Middlebury accepts a number of English proficiency tests for students whose first language is not English or whose secondary education has been at a school where English is not the primary language of instruction. Please read about your options on our resource page for resource page for international students.
Optional Application Materials
- Standardized Tests
- Middlebury is test-optional, starting with applicants in fall 2020. If you choose to submit standardized test scores, please request that testing services or your guidance department submit scores directly to Middlebury College. We will also accept self-reported scores at the time of application. Read more about standardized tests.
For Spring Admission: November 15
For Fall Admission: March 1
Note: There may be occasions when Middlebury is unable to accommodate spring transfers. Candidates will be notified in early December if there are no vacancies and will be given the option to be considered for the following fall semester.
Candidates must plan to complete at least two years of work (18 courses at Middlebury). An estimate of the number of transferable credits will be provided during the first week or two after the student arrives on campus. A final evaluation of credit transfer will only be possible after a complete evaluation by appropriate department chairs but will be completed before the end of the student’s first semester at Middlebury.
Financial assistance at Middlebury is based entirely on established need and is offered to transfer students to the degree that resources permit. The FAFSA and CSS Profile and must be filed by November 15th for spring admission and by March 1st for fall admission. International students must file the CSS Profile. Read more about the affordability of a Middlebury education.