Middlebury Institute Faculty, Staff, and Students:
Monterey County has finally moved into the “red tier” of the State of California Blueprint for a Safer Economy. While the red tier is still restrictive, there are a few steps that MIIS can take to continue gradually re-opening opportunities on campus.
Beginning tomorrow, Thursday, March 18, we will take the next small step. Three classrooms – Simoneau (capacity 5), McCone 238 (capacity 6), and the McCone Boardroom (capacity 6) - will be available for small group meetings. This includes faculty, staff, and student small group meetings, but is not available for anything considered an “event”. Virtual meetings should continue whenever possible. All classrooms have been confirmed by a mechanical engineer and industrial hygienist as having excellent ventilation and outside air. Use of the classrooms will be monitored by Campus Security and the following protocols will be in place.
- To reserve a room, Student Clubs or Student Council members should complete the Student Council and Club Event Request form. All others, including small student study groups, should complete the Room Reservation Request. Reservations are available Monday – Friday between 8AM – 4PM and must be made no later than the day before by 4PM. No day-of reservations.
- Only one group per room per day, on a first-come, first-served basis. The offices will be cleaned after 4PM for the next day’s reservations. Disinfecting wipes will available in each classroom for your use. If demand for the classrooms is high, we will explore opening other classrooms.
- Each room is set for proper social distancing. Furniture cannot be moved from the current configuration.
- When all members of the group have arrived for the reservation at the main doors of McCone on Pierce Street or the front doors of Simoneau on Van Buren Street, call Security at 831-647-4153 and they will come and provide access to the building. The interior doors to the classrooms will already be unlocked.
- Masks must be worn by all members of the group the entire time and social distancing must be observed. If you are ill, do not come to campus.
- All individuals who sign up to use the classrooms will be required to wear an ID lanyard to identify they are authorized to be on campus. Security will provide to individuals upon arrival for their reservation. Please keep these lanyards and bring them back to campus with you for future reservations in the classrooms or the outdoor tables. Lanyards should only be worn during approved reserved time on campus.
- ID cards are required. If you do not have an ID card, they can be requested by:
Security will make your ID card and notify you when it’s ready for pick-up. ID cards must be in hand at least 24 hours before any table reservations.
- No eating/food or alcoholic beverages.
- The restrooms on the main floor of McCone are available for use.
And, a reminder that outdoor picnic tables are available for 1:1 meetings Monday – Friday between 8AM – 6PM in 1 hour & 50 minutes increments. Tables can be reserved via the sign-up sheet. Small offices are also available for students who need stable WiFi. The original e-mail with that protocol is attached.
We will continue to look for additional ways to allow access to campus, dependent on California COVID guidelines. I am happy to answer any questions you might have.
Executive Assistant to the Vice President