Your health and well-being are essential to your success as part of this community. Student Services is here to help you find the health-related resources you need to maintain a balanced lifestyle.
COVID-19 Health and Wellness Resources
We know that these may be stressful and uncertain times for you and your family and friends. We are working hard to curate and share resources, and develop programming and activities for those who may be looking for additional support and connection.
As additional opportunities for wellness and mental health support become available, we will send weekly updates to students. Additionally, please be checking the Student Services Online Resource Guide regularly.
The Institute recognizes and supports the standards set forth in Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, and the ADA Amendments Act of 2008, which are designed to eliminate discrimination against qualified individuals with disabilities. The Institute is committed to making reasonable accommodations for qualified students with disabilities as required by law.
Wellness Education Activities
To review the full fall 2020 health and wellness email sent on 9/30/20, please review here:Fall 2020 Health and Wellness Email to All Students
Student Success Workshop Series
The Student Success Series features live and asynchronous opportunities to take a deep dive into topics around personal, academic and professional wellness. Attending one or more workshops is a productive way to spend an hour, and will help students develop and practice healthy habits for success in graduate school and beyond. We encourage participation in multiple sessions and opportunities as schedules allow.
Learn more and sign up for a fall workshop: go.miis.edu/fallsuccess
Health educators based in Vermont are excited to partner with students across Middlebury programs to support health and well-being. Health coaching involves supporting students as they set goals, name challenges, unearth values & strengths, and access intrinsic motivations to develop and sustain healthy behaviors and attitudes.
Students can schedule up to two follow up appointments with a health educator for a total of three coaching sessions.
Health coaching is never a replacement for medical care or mental health counseling and is not appropriate to address crisis or emergency situations.
Middlebury College Counseling Center Offerings
Middlebury College Counseling has a number of online programs, workshops and group meetings that are open to all Middlebury students, including those at the Institute. Learn more here.
Available during the fall 2020 semester:
- The Weekly Rewind - A weekly drop-in community space to come together as a collective, rewind from our weeks, and reflect together. A space to be with peers, give and receive support, and connect with others.
Fridays 3 – 4 PM EST; Starting September 11th, 2020 (running the entire Fall 2020 semester). RSVP to Carter Branley at firstname.lastname@example.org for Zoom link.
- Coping with all the Feels - A weekly drop-in workshop space focused on developing skills to navigate emotions, interpersonal relationships, and lived experiences with more ease and confidence. Each week, a different topic will be discussed for a total of 5 weeks. The series will be repeated once more in the semester in case you missed one, joined midway through, or want to attend again. The series will be repeated once more in the semester in case you missed one, joined midway through, or want to attend again.
Mondays 4 – 4:50 PM EST; Starting September 14th, 2020 (running the entire Fall 2020 semester). RSVP to Michelle Kaczynski at email@example.com for Zoom link.
- Meditation and Breathwork - Simple, effective, and rejuvenating meditation and breathwork practices to increase relaxation and ease. Join practices throughout the semester to take a moment, recenter, and find the breath. Join this meditation and breathwork space anytime. Come to one or as many of the sessions as you want!
Tuesdays & Fridays 1 – 1:25 PM EST; Starting September 15th, 2020. RSVP to Brian Tobin at firstname.lastname@example.org for Zoom link.
Physical Wellbeing and Health
- Visit our discounts page to learn about discounts for local gym and studio memberships.
- Visit the Remote Student Services Resources Guide for additional free wellness and fitness activities.
- Information about programming or services that support physical wellbeing and health may be found here.
Mental Health Support and Services
WellConnect Student Assistance Program
The WellConnect Student Assistance Program is a confidential and voluntary counseling and resource referral service provided to students free of charge. Students are entitled to six free counseling sessions per incident/issue per year with a local, Monterey-based counselor. Learn more here.
SilverCloud Self-Guided Mental Health Support
In partnership with the Parton Counseling Center at Middlebury College, students are able to access a web-based, self-help workbook called SilverCloud. Learn more here.
Mindfulness for Stress Management
We offer a number of ways to cultivate a practice of mindfulness to help you unwind, de-stress, and improve your general health.
Students enrolled in long- or short-term programs are required to have health insurance. To meet this requirement, you must ensure you have health insurance by the first day of each semester. Learn more about obtaining health insurance, review resources and helpful information to inform your plan selection, and learn about some California-specific options here.
Emergency Contact Information
Please review this important emergency contact information in case of illness or accident.