The Middlebury Institute provides support for students applying for prestigious national and international fellowship opportunities. Career-oriented fellowships can be a great way to explore a region, language, or help you conduct research projects.
What are fellowships?
Fellowships are short-term opportunities lasting from a few months to several years that are focused on one’s academic, personal, and professional development, which are sponsored by specific organizations seeking to expand leadership and/or awareness in their respective field.
Fellowships provide funding and professional development opportunities for students to gain new skills in their desired industry. From intensive language training, internships, and researching projects, fellowships can help support cultivating the skills needed to pursue your own personal, academic and professional goals.
Note: If you are looking for financial support through a fellowship or scholarship for your studies at MIIS, consider the resources available at the Financial Aid office.
Fellowships at MIIS
The Middlebury Institute Fellowships team supports students and alumni applying for U.S.-based and international fellowship opportunities by providing information sessions, application workshops, campus interviews, and one-on-one advising sessions. In some cases, we manage the selection process for certain awards, ex. Projects for Peace. The Fellowships team partners with faculty and staff for outreach, advising, review committees, and selection panels.
Our goal is to provide you with tools to be competitive applicants for their fellowships of interest, by helping to showcase their academic, personal, and professional experiences.
Learn how students like you use fellowships to further pursue their personal, academic and professional goals. Explore student stories.
Meet the Fellowships Team
Look out for upcoming events in MIIS Newsletters and Digital Signage.
*If you would like to partner with us to co-host a fellowship event, feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Nine Students Awarded Prestigious Critical Language Scholarships
Nine Institute students have been chosen as recipients of the Critical Language Scholarship, a highly competitive award funded by the U.S. State Department.
The Middlebury Institute Fellowships Team actively recruits and supports our signature fellowships: Fulbright, Boren, Critical Language Scholarship and Projects for Peace. Additionally, we are here to support students interested in any opportunities in the Fellowships List, and will consider unlisted programs, too.
- Self-Reflection Fellowship Worksheet: Use this worksheet to help guide you through the process of discovering which fellowship is the best suited for your goals.
- Writing Workshop for Research Proposals Presentation: Interested in applying for a research based fellowship, this presentation allows you to go through the steps of where to start and what fellowships are looking for in a proposal.
- Personal Statement Writing Workshop Presentation: Use this presentation to help you as you get started writing your personal statements for fellowships like Fulbright and Boren. This is a good way to start in the essay writing process.
- Additional Fellowship Resources for Applicants: this is an all encompassing document that includes information for essay writing and getting a grasp on other aspects of fellowship applications. This is more specifically geared towards Fulbright, but it includes helpful tips for an array of fellowships.
- The Graduate Writing Center is also a great resource for students when it comes to reviewing your essays and making sure every “t” is crossed, and “i” is dotted. Check out the Graduate Writing Center