The Graduate Writing Center is still open!
We offer one-on-one writing tutoring via Zoom!
See more below!
The Graduate Writing Center seeks to develop and empower writers. We aim to give student writers useful, immediate takeaways from our tutoring sessions while supporting them with tools and suggestions to independently improve their own writing. We help writers of all disciplines (and of all language backgrounds) to strengthen their writing skills. We support student writers in recognizing their own strengths and challenges throughout the writing process in order to promote reflection and professional development.
Appointments and Online tutoring
- The GWC only runs on appointments and does not accept any drop-ins. Book an appointment here for your one-on-one session.
- You are limited to one appointment per week. In cases of when there’s more than one appointment within the same week, your earliest appointment will be kept and the rest will be canceled.
- Please email your paper to your tutor at least 24 hours before your appointment. The GWC’s accomplished tutors read papers ahead of time, so long as they are sent 24 hours in advance. Don’t worry if a draft is not “perfect” or “finished.” Send it along anyway; that’s what we are here for!
- Once an appointment is made through the system, our tutors will send you the Zoom link for your appointment. All you need to do is to show up to the online meeting!
- Please make sure you cancel your appointment within no less than 24-hours’ notice if you think you won’t be able to make it. We welcome everyone to the GWC, however, we have one policy: Three no-shows to non-canceled appointments will result in prohibition from making any further appointments at the GWC.
- Sessions are 50 minutes.
- Your session focuses on you and your needs. Remember that the writing tutors are committed to helping you become a better writer, but they are not going to “fix” your paper. Tutors help you brainstorm ideas, compose outlines, structure your paper, and adhere to stylistic conventions of their field (e.g., MLA, APA, or Chicago)
How was your tutoring session? It’s important for us to hear your feedback so that we can improve our services. Please let us know by completing the student feedback form!
Monday–Thursday, 4–8 p.m.
Open spring and fall semesters. Services not available over the summer or during holidays/breaks.
456 Van Buren Street (Simoneau House)
Please email us if you have any questions.