The Graduate Writing offers virtual tutoring sessions via Zoom!
Join us! APA Style Workshop!
Do you cringe when your professor says, “APA style”? Would you rather go to the dentist than format a reference list? Are you so bored that you actually wonder what changed from the 6th to the 7th edition? If you answered yes to any of these questions, this workshop may be for you. This short workshop will provide you with the basics to use APA style on your next paper from the title page to the reference list and even appendices! Options for in-text citations, criteria for block quotes, correct fonts, proper spacing…it will all be covered and more! Drop in for a crash course or a quick review, all are welcome.
Date: March 3rd (Wed), 1:00PM – 1:45PM (PST)
Zoom link: https://middlebury.zoom.us/my/oliverblock
The Graduate Writing Center seeks to empower graduate students at MIIS by providing them with useful, immediate takeaways from our tutoring sessions while supporting them with tools and suggestions to independently improve their own academic and professional communication skills. We assist writers of all disciplines and of all language backgrounds to strengthen their academic skills. We support student writers in recognizing their own strengths and challenges throughout the writing process in order to promote reflection and professional development.
Appointments and Online tutoring
- The GWC only runs on appointments and does not accept any drop-ins. Book an appointment here using your miis/middlebury e-mail address for your session.
- You are limited to one appointment per week. In cases of when there’s more than one appointment within the same week, your earliest appointment will be kept and the other(s) will be canceled.
- Please e-mail your product to your tutor at least 24 hours before your appointment. The GWC’s accomplished tutors read your products ahead of time, so long as they are sent 24 hours in advance. Don’t worry if a product is not “perfect” or “finished.” Send it along anyway; that’s what we are here for!
- Once an appointment is made through the system, our tutors will send you a Zoom link for your appointment.
- You can work with our tutors in a one-on-one session or meet as a group if you have a group project. Just keep in mind that one member of the group needs to make the appointment, send the product to the tutor, and share the Zoom link with the rest of the group members!
- If you think you won’t be able to make it to your appointment, please make sure you cancel it within no less than 24-hours’ notice to avoid a late cancellation/no-show penalty. You can cancel your appointment by following the instructions on the appointment confirmation e-mail. Three no-shows to non-canceled appointments will result in prohibition from making any further appointments at the GWC for the rest of the semester. Exceptions may be made to this policy when there is an excuse (e.g., sickness).
- During a tutoring session, you will have 50 minutes with your tutor to discuss your product. Our tutors will ask you questions about your goals and concerns and guide you through the process.
- You can ask for help from our tutors on a variety of scholarly and professional genres. These might range from your academic course work (e.g., research papers, analytical essays, policy memos) to more professional products such as conference submissions, op-eds, grant proposals, journal articles, presentations, blog posts, etc.
- Your session focuses on you and your needs. Remember that the writing tutors are committed to helping you become a better communicator, but they are not going to “fix” your paper/produce your product. Tutors help you brainstorm ideas, compose outlines, structure your paper, and adhere to stylistic conventions of their field (e.g., MLA, APA, or Chicago).
Meet Our Tutors!
- The tutoring sessions will be scheduled Monday–Thursday, between 8am–7pm, depending on our tutors’ availability.
- We are open spring and fall semesters. Tutoring sessions are not available over the summer or during holidays/breaks.
Watch the Zotero workshop here! Passcode: Ck7B&65+
Watch the Academic Presentations Workshop here!
How was your tutoring session? It’s important for us to hear your feedback so that we can improve our services. Please let us know by completing the student feedback form!
Please email us if you have any questions.