The goal of the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) office at the Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey is to be a reminder for the Institute’s mission “To educate professionals to advance understanding, promote peace, and drive change in pursuit of a more just world.”
We promote Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion as the Institute’s core values. As we strive to be a welcoming community where differences are celebrated and the complexities of life, both on and off-campus, are navigated with respect, we continuously remind ourselves of our agency and responsibilities. Our approach to DEI has three inter-related parts: commitment, strategy, and action. Therefore, we are deliberate in our efforts to be an institution of higher learning that is known for academic excellence through its diverse student and faculty body and its equitable and inclusive classroom, pedagogy, and curriculum.
We do acknowledge that our core values may often seem aspirational, but that only means we are always strategizing to be better individuals, a more anti-racist institution, and a deeply committed and caring community.
Dr. Pushpa Iyer is the Institute’s Chief Diversity Officer and heads this Office. As CDO, she:
- Plays an advisory role in strategic institutional discussions and works closely with the Institute Council and Institute Leadership Group.
- Collaborates with campus colleagues to identify policies and practices supporting the recruitment and retention of faculty, staff, and students from historically underrepresented groups.
- Expands and deepens discussions about the value of diversity, equity, inclusion, and related issues in our curriculum, pedagogical approaches, mentoring and advising programs, research, and service.
- Works with students to build and support initiatives, policies, and practices that promote a culture of inclusion and foster conversations that encourage dialogue when discussing difficult issues.
- Consults on matters of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion with colleagues in Middlebury College and other higher education campuses.
Our anti-racism work has become more intense and focused since the summer of 2020. As an action-oriented institution, when it comes to DEI work, we are proud to present our various initiatives, and you can find links to these in the right sidebar.