Thinking about attending a conference, networking event or participating in a competition? Apply for Student Council professional development funding to offset the cost of participation.
Please note: due to depletion of funds, Professional Development Funding is closed for the 2019-20 academic year and will be reevaluated for the 2020-21 academic year in September 2020.
The Student Council endeavors to support the needs of the student body by providing the opportunity to apply for financial support when attending or presenting at professional events both domestically and abroad. Funds will be awarded to qualifying students upon submission of a satisfactory application to the Professional Development Funding (PDF) Committee. Once the professional development event has occurred, students who have been approved for funding will be instructed to submit a payment request and any required deliverable(s) for reimbursement up to the awarded amount.
Current degree-seeking students who are in good academic and financial standing and who have paid the student activity fee are eligible to apply. Due to the high demand for funding, the applicant pool is competitive. Funds are awarded on a first-come, first-served basis and are likely to run out before the end of each academic year.
- Applicants may receive funding once per academic year to fund participation in a single professional development event.
- Consideration is given to applicants who apply for professional development funding related to an event taking place in the same academic year through July.
- Applications may be submitted from August 1, 2019 through May 1, 2020 for non-DC-Career-Week applicants and November 1 - March 6 for DC Career Week Applicants, or until funds are depleted. The PDF Committee generally meets the last Friday of every month (September–April) to review applications. The DC Career Exploration Week application opens on November 1.
- Please note: students may apply for Professional Development Funding for events that occur during the months of August and September by the September 27 review deadline with the understanding that they will not be notified of the PDF committee’s decision until after that deadline.
- Funding can be used toward conference registration, travel and transportation and lodging.
- Funding is not guaranteed.
- Amount awarded is at the discretion of the Professional Development Funding Committee.
- If recipients are unhappy with the awarded amount, they may deny the offer of funding and apply for a later event in the same academic year. No re-review of application materials is permitted.
- All reimbursement paperwork, including a required deliverable in the form of a slide deck, must be submitted within two weeks after the last day of the event. Failure to do so will cause the student to lose funds allocated by the Committee. Full instructions for the reimbursement process are included in the confirmation email from the PDF Committee.
Submit a completed Professional Development Funding Application or DC Career Exploration Week Funding Application. Applications may be submitted any time prior to the conference/event date and before May 1, 2020 or until funds run out and the application closes. Applications will be reviewed on the last Friday of the month by the PDF Committee. A full list of review dates is below.
Application Tip: It may take up to two weeks for the PDF Committee to review applications submitted by the end of each month. If you would like to know if you are eligible for PDF prior to your event, we suggest applying at least a month early (i.e. if attending a conference in November, submit your application by the end of September).
To apply for funding towards the DC Career Exploration week, submit a DC Career Exploration Week Funding Application. This application will open on November 1 and close on March 6.
Students will be notified of their award via email within one to two weeks of the closest review date following their submission. For example, if a student submits an application on October 15, they should expect to hear the PDF Committee's decision 1-2 weeks after the October 26 review date.
Retroactive applications will not be reviewed.
2019-20 Review Dates*
- September 27**
- October 25
- November 22 (due to the Fall Recess and Thanksgiving Holiday on November 29)
- January 31
- February 28
- March 6 – DC Career Exploration Week application deadline and review only
- March 27
- May 1 - final deadline for all events occurring through July 2020**
*These review dates are outlined for the academic year. If funds run out early, not all of these review deadlines may occur.
**The first review deadline of September 27 is the only deadline that allows for retroactive applications--i.e. applications for events which have already occurred may be submitted. Otherwise, all applications must be submitted prior to the event start date.
Award amounts are:
- up to $350 for an attendee
- up to $750 for a presenter
- see below for how DC Career Week funds are distributed
Students are eligible for one PDF award per academic year.
To apply, complete the Professional Development Funding Application.
DC Career Week
This pool of funding will be distributed evenly among qualified applicants, reimbursable based on satisfactory attendance at all DC Career Week sessions for which they have committed to attending. The deadline to submit all required materials for reimbursement is April 5 (two weeks after the trip). Minimum award is $150/student.
- PDF recipients will be awarded the amount offered once conference attendance is completed.
- Students may decline the funding award offered to them in lieu of applying for a future professional development event in the same academic year by responding to the PDF Committee's decision email.
- Students applying for PDF must read and agree to these terms and guidelines.
- The PDF Committee reserves the right to request additional documentation regarding attendance/participation, including but not limited to receipts, registration forms, and proof of participation.