Dear MIIS Community,
As we look forward to a chance to relax and refresh with family and friends this Thanksgiving, we would like to provide you with a few reminders and some helpful information about celebrating safely.
Staying Safe Over the Break:
- Vaccination remains the best way to minimize the risk of illness. This will help protect your health and the health of those who are more vulnerable or not yet eligible for vaccination. Given evolving data about waning immunity, please get a booster when you are eligible (more on boosters below).
- Remember, outdoors remains a safer environment than indoors. When you must gather indoors, avoid crowded or poorly ventilated areas. Monitor yourself for occurrence of symptoms and minimize contact if symptoms develop.
- Everyone in communities with substantial or high transmission rates should wear a mask while in public indoor settings, regardless of vaccination status. If you are not fully vaccinated, you should wear a mask any time you are in a public indoor setting.
- For students who are traveling internationally, we remind you that countries may restrict travel within their borders, lock down movement, add entry restrictions, and/or change quarantine requirements at any time.
- The CDC has more information on how to celebrate the holiday safely, and we encourage you to review its guidance. If we each follow a few simple precautions, we can enjoy safer travel over Thanksgiving and protect the health of our friends, classmates, and colleagues when we return.
Booster Shots: Booster shots are now available for everyone 18 and older. Get a booster shot as soon as you’re eligible:
- For Pfizer or Moderna vaccine: you can get a booster shot 6 months from the time of your second vaccine dose.
- For Johnson & Johnson vaccine: you can get a booster shot 2 months from the time of your initial dose.
COVID-19 Testing Site Opened Close to Campus: A COVID-19 testing site is open at the Portola Hotel & Spa at 2 Portola Plaza in downtown Monterey, within easy walking distance of the Institute. The site is open 7 AM - 4 PM Tuesday through Saturday for free PCR testing. There are other vaccine and testing locations in the local area.
Not sure under what circumstances to get a test? Check out the CDC’s guidelines regarding when to get a COVID test.
We’d like to express our gratitude to our entire campus community for your commitment to keeping our community safe. We wish you all a safe and happy Thanksgiving break.
VP of Academic Affairs and Dean of the Institute