MIIS Students Celebrate International Women’s Day
The Monterey Institute community has actively honored women and girls in connection with the International Women’s Day (March 8) in a variety of creative ways:
- Students from various degree programs and of diverse backgrounds came together to create a
where the voice their hope for women and girls to be educated, to be equal participants in the workforce, and to live in a violence free world. The video also showcases their cultural diversity and the many languages spoken on the Monterey Institute campus every day.
- The MIIS student club Women for Women hosted a free public screening this week of the film Girl Rising, a documentary film about the strength of the human spirit and the power of education to change a girl – and the world.
- On Saturday, March 9, the Women’s Empowerment Project’s and Monterey County Rape Crisis Center’s are sponsoring the Strong and Wise Women’s Conference, hosted by the Monterey Institute in the Irvine Auditorium from 8:00 a.m.to 4:00 p.m. To learn more about the conference and to register visit their Eventbrite site.
- On Thursday, March 14, the Monterey Institute will host a public lecture by Shabana Basij-Rasikh (Midd ’11), managing director of the School of Leadership in Afghanistan. As a girl in Kabul she dressed as a boy to escort her sister to a secret school, risking dire consequences if caught. Shabana will share her experiences in the Irvine Auditorium at 12:15 PM.
- Monterey Institute professors Nüket Kardam and Fredric Kropp wrote a chapter on “Women as Social Entrepreneurs: A Case Study” in a new book Women in the Global Economy: Leading Social Change, published by the Institute of International Education (IIE) and the American Institute for Foreign Study (AIFS) Foundation. The book, published this week, reviews a broad range of issues concerning women in the global economy, including their contributions and impact around the world as agents of social change, as well as obstacles they continue to face.
For More Information