Director, Exploratory Initiatives and Partnerships
I grew up in the Monterey Bay area, received my BA in History from UCLA in 1992 and a MATESOL degree from the Institute in 1996. I developed an affinity for teaching content-, community- and project-based English as a Second Language (ESL) as an instructor in the Institute’s Intensive English Programs, often experimenting with the new ways to integrate the Internet, digital media, and emerging web-based collaboration tools. In addition to teaching ESL and computer assisted language learning focused teacher education courses, I served as the Director of Intensive English Programs from 2002-2007.
I am involved in a wide range of experiments and projects at the intersection of learning, technology, and community. In addition to providing support for academic cyberinfrastrucutre tools and platforms such as Canvas, Wordpress, Course Hub, Panopto, and Zoom, I help convene faculty conversations about emerging teaching practices and methods, as well as pilot tools that might further improve the student learning experience, whether face-to-face, hybrid or online.
In addition to my current role, I have served on a variety of campus working groups and and task force teams:
- Chair, Sustainability Council - 2012-2015 Academic Years
- Core Member, Academic Cyberinfrastrucutre Transformation Team - 2016 -current
- Member, Curricular Technology Team - 2013 - 2016
- Co-Chair, Online Learning Task Force - 2014 - 2015 Academic Years
- Member, Master Planning Committee - 2013 Academic Year
- Member, Staff Advisory Team - 2012 Academic Year
Areas of Interest
Curricular & Collaborative Technologies, Instructional Design, ESL, Digital Media