Quickly develop your video skills with this online, self-paced course on the fundamentals of professional subtitling.
This three-to-five-hour, hands-on course, taught by Middlebury Institute Professor Max Troyer, is ideal if you want to learn how to create subtitles based on the same guidelines Netflix uses for their originals.
This noncredit course is adapted from our online MA in Translation and Localization Management.
Study Online on Your Schedule
Subtitling for Streaming is a fully online and self-paced course, giving you total freedom to study from anywhere in the world, whenever you want.
What you will learn:
- Subtitling best practices grounded in Netflix standards.
- Modern AI-based workflows for creating video subtitles.
- How to generate, check, and correct subtitles using common industry tools.
- Ways to identify common errors that subtitlers make when working with Netflix guidelines—and how to avoid making them.
- How to use free and premium tools and platforms, including Adobe Premiere Pro and VisualSubSync Enhanced.
- Bonus material including how to create subtitles with ArcTime, subtitling with Aegisub, and enterprise subtitling at scale with Ooona.
Whether you are a video content creator, work in language services, or manage a subtitling team, you’ll learn what it takes to create pro-level subtitles.
- Type / Modality: Online
- Estimated completion time: 3–5 hours
- Number of modules: 3
- Activities and content: Activities include videos, readings, practice activities and examples, and a knowledge evaluation that you can take as many times as you like.
- Prerequisites: A networked computer running Windows or with access to Windows is required, as is the capability to download content and stream multimedia audio and video.
- Completion rewards: After you successfully complete this course, you’ll earn a certificate of completion and a badge to share on your social media profiles.
- Registration Price: $99
- Middlebury Institute Admitted Students: Students admitted to our master’s degree programs can register for free; check your MIcommunity admitted students group for more info!
- Middlebury Institute Current Students, Faculty, Staff: Register for free.
- If you have any questions about the course, please contact email@example.com.
- This course does not count for credit toward a master’s program. If you are interested in a master’s program, visit our online MA in Translation and Localization Management.