All students are encouraged to seek funding with the most favorable terms.

Here are the steps international students should take in investigating their options:

Video Guide

Watch our video on how to finance your education with customized instructions for international students.


The Middlebury Institute offers a variety of scholarships for international students, including merit and need-based scholarships, and partner scholarships. The sooner you apply for admission to your master’s degree program of interest, the more likely you are to receive our most generous scholarships. Learn more about scholarships.

External Scholarships

Many organizations offer funding for graduate school and this list of resources has been helpful to students in the past. Please note that we do not work directly with these organizations and cannot guarantee their services. We encourage you to look for other resources as well.

Institute Work-Study

Work-study jobs are available to international students and can provide valuable professional experience. However, all F-1 and J-1 students are required to show funding that covers tuition and estimated cost of living without the need to work in order to obtain their visa. On-campus employment is meant to be used as supplemental funding to the funding shown to ISSS and the U.S. government. International students who have an F-1 or J-1 visa may work on campus for up to 20 hours a week. Learn more about work-study.

Funding from Home Country

Please contact the Ministry of Education, or closest education advising center in your home country, to learn more about funding from your government. You can also find an Education USA office near you that provides resources and scholarship information to international students interested in studying in the U.S.


After exhausting the options above that do not require repayment, international students can consider loans and prioritize those with more favorable terms:

  • Since most international students do not qualify for U.S. federal student aid, you should check with your home country to see if loans to study in the U.S. are available. 
  • Many U.S. lenders offer educational loans to international students if they apply with a U.S. cosigner.
  • If you are an international student seeking to borrow without a cosigner, you will find fewer options and interest rates and other terms may be less favorable.

Learn more about private loans.