Dear MIIS Community:
It’s hard to believe that we are reaching the end of the academic year, with finals upon us soon. We are looking forward to celebrating our Spring 2022 graduates during the Commencement ceremony on May 21. The keynote speaker will be Fatema Z. Sumar, who served until recently as Vice President of Compact Operations at the U.S. Millennium Challenge Corporation. Leveraging her expertise in international development, foreign policy, diplomacy, and advocacy, Ms. Sumar has, in a variety of roles, led efforts to fight poverty by transforming global systems in reaching vulnerable populations. Meanwhile, Meng (Barbara) Zhang has been selected as the student speaker for the Class of 2022. She has been involved in numerous MIIS and volunteer activities and co-founded Translators for Elders.
Samson and Holland Centers for Finals: The Samson Center and the Holland Center will be open 24/7 beginning the evening of Sunday, May 15 through the evening of Thursday, May 19 to provide ample space for studying.
Quick reminders of campus COVID policies:
- Indoor masking in common areas is optional: This includes the Holland Center, the Samson Center, building lobbies, and the Library. The Library has set aside one room - the DVD/Browsing Room - that requires full masking, for those who are more comfortable in a room where everyone is masked.
- Masks are still required in all classrooms and conference rooms and for indoor meetings.
- Lanyards with ID cards and COVID compliance stickers continue to be required at all times while on campus.
- Guests are now allowed at outdoor MIIS-sponsored events, but only if guests are included in event planning by the organizers beforehand (i.e., no walk-ins).
- Consider in-person meetings to foster engagement among participants. There are many rooms available across campus for in-person or hybrid meetings that can be reserved by submitting a Room Reservation Request Form. Most importantly, do what is comfortable for attendees.
- If you are sick, especially with COVID symptoms, stay at home. Test regularly for COVID. As a reminder, if you test positive for COVID-19, guidelines are in place for notification and care.
As an additional reminder, free rapid tests and masks are still available in the Segal Building, Monday - Friday between 10 am and 2 pm. As always, you can view all return-to-campus policies and updates on our return to campus web page.
We wish Eid Mubarak to those who will celebrate the end of the Holy Month of Ramadan this weekend.
VP for Academic Affairs and Dean of the Institute