Middlebury Institute students interested in the Peace Corps can integrate Peace Corps service into their degree.

The entry-level threshold for launching a career in development often requires a master’s degree plus experience in the field, so Options for Peace Corps Service is ideal for anyone looking to start a career in the highly competitive world of international aid work.


Students have integrated Peace Corps service into their MPA, International Policy and Development, International Environmental Policy, and TESOL degrees. Other programs may be considered with approval from the department dean or program chair.

How it works

  • Spend the first year of your degree program at the Middlebury Institute to complete your core classes, electives, and second-language requirements.

  • Fulfill your Peace Corps service.

  • After completing your service, return to the Institute to complete course work and final projects needed for graduation.

Our Peace Corps Connection

The Middlebury Institute and Peace Corps have partnered for more than 20 years. When the now-retired Peace Corps Master’s International program was offered, the Peace Corps described the Institute as a prolific producer of PCMI students and regularly ranked us among the agency’s top programs. Returned Peace Corps Volunteers feel at home on our diverse campus, where their Peace Corps experience is highly valued and relevant to our programs of study.


Students who successfully complete their Peace Corps service within the program timeframe and return to the Middlebury Institute are guaranteed a 50 percent tuition scholarship for their final semester.


  • Approval from your department dean.

  • Eight credits of language prior to starting service.

  • Must apply 9 to 12 months before you plan to leave for service.

  • Must apply directly to the Peace Corps and be accepted for a position related to your degree program.


  • Prospective students seeking more information about this option should contact the admissions team.

  • Current students should speak with their career and academic advisor.