The Ocean Climate Action Plan (OCAP) Media Kit includes social media suggestions, specific talking points and policy recommendations, videos from key supporters who helped to craft the plan, OCAP-related articles, logos, photos, and media contacts. Learn all about the Ocean Climate Action Coalition!
OCEAN CLIMATE ACTION SOCIAL MEDIA
Feel free to build your own posts, or simply retweet @CBE_MIIS or facebook @CenterForTheBlueEconomy or instagram @OceanClimateAction.
- What do we want? #ClimateAction! When do we want it? #Now! #OceanClimateAction2021! www.oceanclimateaction2021.org
- Thank you @sylviaearle for these wise words. Without #OceanHealth, our entire global #WaterCycle is in peril. Without #biodiversity, the #oceans can’t fight #ClimateChange. We must act now for the health of our oceans, rivers, lakes and ourselves. www.oceanclimateaction2021.org
Thank you #OceanClimateAction Plan signatory @JohnKerry for your years of activism, pointing out the #OceanClimate connection. Now is the time to act. www.oceanclimateaction2021.org
- Thank you @DebHaalandNM (now Secretary of the Interior Haaland). More than 50% of the air we breathe is generated by the #ocean. Inland states economies are tied to the coasts. #OceanHealth and #Biodiversity are critical for solving the #ClimateCrisis. www.oceanclimateaction2021.org
- NOW IS THE TIME to make BOLD INVESTMENTS in #CleanEnergy #OffshoreWind #CleanPorts to create #Jobs and the #ClimateCrisis. #ActOnClimate #OceanClimateAction. www.oceanclimateaction2021.org
Thank you @JoeCunninghamSC. The #Ocean<>#ClimateChange>>#GlobalWarming is affecting #OceanHealth and without a thriving ocean, all life systems are in peril. #ActOnClimate #OceanClimateAction www.oceanclimateaction2021.org
- #Oceans, #Wetlands, #Mangroves sink 1/4 to 1/3 of annual CO2 emissions, but the #ClimateCrisis is changing the temperature and chemistry of global oceans—we must address the root causes of #ClimateChange and restore #OceanHealth and #NatureBasedSolutions as key solutions. #OceanClimateAction www.oceanclimateaction2021.org
The US has significant wind resources that can provide #Renewable electricity for the nation, low-cost power, and #energy independence. #OceanClimateAction2021. #ActOnClimate! www.oceanclimateaction2021.org
- Thank you @DebHaalandNM for this #wisdom. The #ClimateCrisis is the existential threat of our times. We must move post-disaster $ into pre-disaster planning! Fund a #ClimateCorp to create job$ and #JustTransition to #OceanClimateAction2021 We must #ActOnClimate! www.oceanclimateaction2021.org
- #Storms and #Flooding are increasing with #ClimateChange. We must PLAN NOW for #ClimateReality. #ActOnClimate #OceanClimateAction www.oceanclimateaction2021.org
(Side note: This photo is of Hurricane Sandy, the deadliest and most destructive, as well as the strongest, hurricane of the 2012 Atlantic hurricane season. Inflicting nearly $70 billion (2012 USD) in damage, it was the second-costliest hurricane on record in the United States until surpassed by Hurricanes Harvey and Maria in 2017. source: Wikipedia)
- Thank you @SenJeffMerkley. NOW IS THE TIME to #ActOnClimate—the #ClimateCrisis is the #OceanCrisis—We must move away from fossil fuels, creating #Infrastructure for #CleanEnergy #Jobs and a #JustTransition. www.oceanclimateaction2021.org
- Thank you @JoeCunninghamSC. The #Ocean<>#ClimateChange>>#GlobalWarming is affecting #OceanHealth and without a thriving ocean, all life systems are in peril. #ActOnClimate #OceanClimateAction www.oceanclimateaction2021.org
- #OffshoreRenewable #WaveEnergy #TidalEnergy, #ThermalEnergy with strict life-cycle and impact standards address the #ClimateCrisis for a #JustTransition and #Jobs. #ActOnClimate #OceanClimateAction #CleanOceanEnergy. www.oceanclimateaction2021.org
OCEAN CLIMATE ACTION LEARNING SERIES—TELL YOUR AUDIENCE WHAT WE ARE FIGHTING FOR
The OCAP learning series describes what we are fighting for over five weeks: first a general overiew of the Ocean Climate Action Plan, then the 4 parts of the OCAP plan, can be found here. Post as you see fit!
INVITE OTHERS TO JOIN THE OCAP COALITION
250 Word Email template—Background and Call to Action
Subject line: Ocean Climate Action Plan
The Climate Crisis is an Ocean Crisis, and oceans, coastlines, rivers, and the Great Lakes must not be overlooked in solutions. The non-partisan Ocean Climate Action Plan (OCAP) was developed over the past two years by hundreds of industry leaders, marine conservationists, academics, frontline communities, Indigenous communities, youth activists, and policymakers with Blue Frontier and the Center for the Blue Economy acting as convenors. It is intended as a template for federal laws and policies. The plan calls for bold and strategic investments that help decarbonize American industry, create new jobs in clean energy and climate adaptation, while addressing climate injustices of the past, and looking to innovative solutions for the future. Several prominent allies and supporters have become Primary Signatories to the plan, including (NAME OF PERSON AT THAT ORG WHO IS SIGNATORY), Climate Envoy John Kerry, Former Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta, and the father of the environmental justice movement, Dr. Robert Bullard. Roughly 50% of the OCAP policy recommendations are included in HR 8632 the Ocean-Based Climate Solutions Act, but the work does not stop there. The OCAP team invites the (INSERT NAME OF UNIVERSITY OR OR) community to join the effort. Learn more and sign up on the OCAP mailing list here: www.OceanClimateAction2021.org.
Ocean Climate Action Additional Slides & Memes
Need more images and memes that share the ocean/climate connection message & give the Ocean Climate Action backstory? Check out this folder of memes and “Learning Series” slides formatted for twitter, facebook, or instagram.
Ocean Climate Action Main Websites
- Main Landing Page: https://www.OceanClimateAction2021.org (This pages gives an overview of our background, links to sign up form, and Media Kit)
- Sign up Form: https://www.OceanClimateAction2021-signup.org (This is how we get people into our system to keep them apprised of upcoming actions)
- Media Kit: https://www.OceanClimateAction2021-mediakit.org (This has everything you need to spread the word on social media, public domain images you can use in newsletters, recent articles featuring OCAP in the news, more background, downloadable logos—YOU ARE HERE—GOOD JOB!)
Ocean Climate Action Large Logo
Need a bigger image to use or size to your specs? This graphic created by Jim Toomey (creator of Sherman’s Lagoon cartoon series) is our main Ocean Climate Action logo. To download the graphic, click here: Ocean Climate Action logo (1536x1152).
Where to Find Ocean Climate Action Co-Leads (Center for the Blue Economy and Blue Frontier) on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and the Web
Full Report-Ocean Climate Action Plan
“It’s time for boldness because there is so much to do!” - President Joseph R. Biden.
The Biden Administration is committed to fighting climate change. All sectors of the ocean conservation and environmental justice community must act now to promote a new blue economy for the 21st century. Together, we will ensure that the Ocean Climate Action Plan (OCAP) is central to U.S. policy.
Our coalition is working around the clock to get new laws passed in Congress and to make sure federal agencies use their regulatory and budgetary power to support our ocean climate action recommendations including:
- Offshore renewable energy that supports communities and ecosystems
- A job-producing new living shorelines coastal restoration industry
- Sustainable fisheries and aquaculture
- The greening of our ports and shipping industry
- The 30x30 initiative to expand marine protected areas to 30% of federal waters
Join us!!! Make 2021 the year of the oceans!
We can Save our Coasts with a $10 Billion Investment, by David Helvarg and Daniel Hayden in the Hill, August 19, 2021
From Negligence to Malevolence: How the Climate Crisis has Gone Critical, by David Helvarg in the Progressive, July 20, 2021
Charting a Sustainable Course for the Blue Economy, by David Helvarg and Jason Scorse in the Nation, June 8, 2021 (World Ocean Day)
Does Biden Have an Ocean Policy?, by David Helvarg in the Hill, April 29, 2021
Ocean Climate Action Capitol Hill Lobby Day 2021-Recap, by Rachel Christopherson, April 16, 2021 on MIIS web.
Join the Virtual Capitol Hill Lobby Day for ocean climate action on April 14, Our Daily Planet, April 9th, 2021
- Ocean Climate Coalition To Lobby US Government In April, by John Liang in Deeper Blue, March 12, 2021
- Biden’s Climate Plan Can Work if it’s Sea to Shining Sea, by Jason Scorse & David Helvarg in the Hill, February 4, 2021
- The Ocean Under Biden, by David Helvarg in The Hill, December 17, 2020
- Biden and the Ocean, podcast from partners at Blue Frontier, interview with Mike Conathan of the Aspen Institute, November 9, 2020
- The Ocean Climate Action Plan: Turning Ideas into Advocacy, webinar presentation by Jason Scorse and Elise Birkett, part of the World Views speaker series at the Middlebury Inst., October 28, 2020
- “You can’t address climate by ignoring 71 percent of the planet,” Op-Ed by David Helvarg and Jason Scorse, The Hill, 10/27/2020
- Biden-Harris will Deliver a Powerful Blue Economy, by Jason Scorse and David Helvarg in Our Daily Planet, October 10, 2020
- Trump to Ocean: Drop Dead, by David Helvarg in the Progressive, October 7, 2020
- We Need A Blue New Deal Too. Here’s Why, by Allison Licence in 1 Million Women News, August 4, 2020
- How a Blue New Deal Charts a Course for a Sustainable Sea Change, by Joel Makower in Green Biz, July 20, 2020
- Rising Tide #9 – Talking Blue New Deal, podcast interview by David Helvarg speaking to David talks with Jason Scorse (Center for the Blue Economy) and 16-year-old activist Charley Peebler (Heirs To Our Oceans) about the newly released Ocean Climate Action Plan – Blue New Deal, July 16, 2020
- More Blue is Needed in the Democrats’ Green Plan, by Jason Scorse & David Helvarg in the Hill, July 15, 2020
Ocean Climate Action Plan offers Cure for Post-Pandemic Economy with Solutions for Climate Emergency: Adds Missing Pieces to House Climate Change Framework, by the OCAP team—Press Release, July 13, 2020
- An Ocean Climate Action Plan for a New Blue Economy, by Jason Scorse & David Helvarg in Our Daily Planet, May 29, 2020
- Oceans advocacy group calls for a ‘Blue New Deal,’ by Sarah Kennedy of ChavoBart Digital Media originally in Yale Climate Connection reposted in EcoWatch, April 21, 2020
- Diving into an Ocean Climate Action Plan, by David Helvarg in Alert Diver, November 19, 2019
- Ocean Activists Call For ‘Blue New Deal,’ by John Liang in Deeper Blue, October 30, 2019
- The Ocean Climate Action Summit: From California Consensus to a National “Blue New Deal,” by Rachel Christopherson in Middlebury Institute News, October 22, 2019
- This Fisherman Wants Us To Use The Oceans To Fight Climate Change, by Maanvi Singh in Huffington Post, October 21, 2019
- Ocean Climate Action Plan Offers Guide for U.S. Response to IPCC Report on Climate Threat to Ocean, by Elli Kerlow, September 26, 2019
- Enthusiasm builds for ‘Blue New Deal’ after climate town hall, by Rebecca Beitsch in The Hill, Sept.8, 2019
- A blue new deal for a blue marble planet, by David Helvarg in Mission Blue News, July 10, 2019
- Why a green climate deal needs more blue, by David Helvarg and Jason Scorse in Sea Technology, April 3, 2019
- Putting the Blue in the Green New Deal, by Jason Scorse and David Helvarg in Mongabay, March 13, 2019
Rising Tide Podcasts from Blue Frontier
Podcasts, blogs, news articles and books from the Blue Frontier, click here: Rising Tide Podcasts & Blue News
BLUE ECONOMY AND OCEAN IMAGES—PUBLIC DOMAIN
Ocean Climate Action Plan Background
On March 13th, 2019, David Helvarg of the Blue Frontier and Jason Scorse of the Center for the Blue Economy wrote “Putting the Blue in the Green New Deal,” an opinion piece in the scientific magazine Mongabay. The two ocean-focused non-profit organizations realized that they were uniquely positioned to act as conveners who could bring together thought leaders to refine and expand the initial ideas into the Ocean Climate Action Plan. A meeting of California leaders was convened on October 18th—more about that meeting can be found here: The Ocean Climate Action Summit—California Meeting.
On January 13th, 2020, the first consensus draft of the Ocean Climate Action Plan was released (based on comments from our Oct.18 meeting in California). After a comment period, the second draft was released on March 12th, 2020.
On Wednesday, April 29th, 2020, the two organizations hosted a webinar that looked in depth at the issues addressed by the Ocean Climate Action Plan. After introductory remarks by Senator Jeff Merkley of Oregon, Congresswoman Deb Haaland of New Mexico, Congressman Joe Cunningham of South Carolina, and Ms. Franceska De Oro, youth activist from Guam, we spent one hour on each of the four parts of the plan. (Full webinar video and guide to sections and speakers above). The final plan took into consideration the 100 questions and comments raised during the webinar, and we encouraged the public to give further feedback on Draft #2.
The final draft of the Ocean Climate Action Plan was published on July 13th, 2020. Next began the process of translating the final recommendations into legislative and policy language at the state and federal levels. Much of the OCAP recommendations were adopted into the Ocean-Based Climate Solutions Act, HR8632.
On April 14, 2021, in one of the largest and certainly most timely Ocean lobbies in U.S. history, over 300 people from more than 30 states and territories met with 107+ Members of the House of Representatives and their staff, and 33+ Senators and staff. Over 150 virtual meetings took place on Ocean Climate Action Lobby Day! The coalition (many of whose members had never visited with their elected representatives before) sent a clear message to our national policymakers: you cannot solve the climate crisis without ocean health, and ocean health is key to solving the climate crisis.
We will continue to build the broad coalition and constituency needed to support ocean climate bills in the U.S. Congress. This will include a media campaign, opinion pieces, and your support spreading the message from sea to shining sea.
Our goal is strong local and federal ocean-climate policy signed into law as soon as possible. The climate emergency is an ocean emergency. There is no time to waste.
Elizabeth Warren’s Blue New Deal
Many people have inquired whether the Center for the Blue Economy or Blue Frontier had any hand in Warrens’ Blue New Deal proposal, given how closely it resembles the Ocean Climate Action Plan framework. The answer is no. No one in the Warren camp consulted with our organizations. We are of course pleased that the Senator and former Presidential candidate have taken on this issue, raising its profile. But this work goes beyond any single politician or party. The OCAP process is a bottom-up nonpartisan coalition-building effort that will take many months (and likely years) to achieve its goals. Public support is crucial to build and sustain this effort. If you have any questions or comments please contact email@example.com.
The Ocean Climate Action Plan Team
The development of the Ocean Climate Action plan was a collaboration between the Center for the Blue Economy and Blue Frontier, with considerable input from the Youth Advisory Council. The two organizations acted as conveners bringing together more than 800 people to give input into the final recommendations. Read more about OCAP team by clicking the links below.
OCAP MEDIA CONTACTS
Elli Kerlow, Communications Director, Blue Frontier
Lauren Townsend, OCAP Virtual Lobby Days Coordinator
David Helvarg, Director, Blue Frontier
Jason Scorse, Director, Center for the Blue Economy