Orientation is the official start of your program and an important opportunity to meet and network with your classmates. The following information is for fall 2021.
Orientation is made up of three components:
- Getting Started at MIIS virtual course: opens August 2, 2021
- Mandatory with some optional content; every student will have required assignments in this course that must be completed by Monday, August 30, 2021.
- Welcome Week live virtual activities, sessions, and asynchronous work: August 30–September 3, 2021
- Mandatory; new student course registration opens on Friday, September 3
- Continued, optional cohort-based activities: through November
All incoming students are encouraged to attend as many parts of orientation as possible; Getting Started at MIIS and Welcome Week each have mandatory content and sessions.
During Welcome Week, you will participate in a number of worthwhile sessions, many of which focus on career readiness and how you can maximize your time at the Institute to achieve your professional goals. Orientation is the perfect time to begin building relationships with what is likely to be your lifelong personal and professional network. For students with a language component to their degree, language placement information will be made available to you after you take your placement tests; the earlier you take your placement tests in the Aug 16–25 window, the better. Your language placement results will be made available to you prior to the opening of class registration on Friday Sep 3.
During the three-part-orientation, we will guide and support you in the following:
Increasing your career-readiness focus
Setting expectations for the community and work culture
Helping you to map out your registration plans
Fostering engagement across the community