International students in the U.S. in F-1 or J-1 status are eligible for certain types of work authorization.

Employment for students in F-1 or J-1 is classified as either on-campus or off-campus work authorization. In order to maintain valid F-1 or J-1 status you must not work in the U.S. unless your employment has been authorized according to federal regulations.

Working in the U.S. without the correct authorization can lead to the loss of your visa status. Being out of status can affect your legal presence in the U.S., work authorization, and future visa applications.

Refer to the following for more information:

On-Campus Work-Study

Curricular Practical Training for F-1 Students

Optional Practical Training for F-1 Students

Academic Training

Economic Hardship Approval for F-1 Students