icon-arrow-down icon-arrow-left icon-arrow-right icon-arrow-up icon-calendar icon-check icon-close icon-compass icon-email icon-facebook icon-instagram icon-linkedin icon-map icon-play icon-plus icon-search icon-twitter icon-vimeo icon-youtube

As an international student in F-1 or J-1 status, you are eligible to work on campus if you are currently enrolled in classes and maintaining your student status.

The following are some of the guidelines for international students seeking on-campus employment:


Currently available on-campus job postings are managed by the Center for Academic Advising and Career Services (CACS), and can be found on Zócalo


  • New international students who are in “initial status” cannot begin work until the start of the semester in which you begin your studies. This is an institutional policy.

  • All international students who obtain on-campus work-study positions must fill out the required human resources paperwork. For J-1 students: In addition to completing the human resources paperwork, you must also receive approval from the International Student Advisor prior to beginning your on-campus job.

  • You can participate in on-campus work throughout your studies as long as you are maintaining your student status.

  • You are limited to 20 hours per week during the academic session.

  • You can work full-time (20 hours or more) during official school breaks (i.e., summer vacation and winter and spring break).

  • You cannot engage in on-campus employment once you complete your program, unless it is in your field of study, and you have the proper work authorization.

  • You can continue to work on campus between programs if you are changing levels at the Institute; e.g., if you are moving from a language training program to a degree program or from the undergraduate level to graduate level.

  • Students can only engage in on-campus work at the schools that issue their Form I-20 or Form DS-2019. If you are enrolled in more than one school, this means you can only work on the campus that issued your current Form I-20 or Form DS-2019.