Community Initiatives Funding
Student clubs, groups or individual students wishing to host an activity, event or conference may qualify for Community Initiatives Funding.
Community Initiatives Funding Guidelines
The Student Council encourages the academic, professional, and cultural interests of the Institute’s student body by supporting those students who wish to host a large-scale event such as a conference, speaker event, community gathering or panel. Please read below for more information.
Apply for Community Initiatives Funding
Purpose of Community Initiatives Funding
Community Initiatives Funding seeks to:
- Support the academic and cultural interests of students by providing thought-provoking and insightful perspectives on international topics.
- Bring together leading experts and professionals to share knowledge and experiences and provide opportunities to network.
- Share the expertise of professional/accredited persons to speak or perform during an activity sponsored by an Institute department, Student Club or Academic Department (all activities must be student-led to qualify)
- The activity must be student-led, but may also have ‘event sponsorship’ from an academic or institutional department, and/or a student club.
- The event should provide interpretation services when available.The Translation and Interpretation programs should be consulted.
- Joint club sponsorship by at least two clubs increases the strength of an application.
- There is no specification made as to whether or not there should be a balanced perspective provided on an issue, but it must be clear on whether this is the case.
Community Initiatives Funding Policies and Process
- All Community Initiatives funding proposals must be presented to the Student Council in person at a Student Council meeting at least two weeks prior to the event. The requesting Club or student must submit a Funding Request Form and receive confirmation of attendance at the Student Council meeting.
- Click here for an example of a Community Initiatives Funding presentation (note that this fund was formerly referred to as “forum funding”)
- Community Initiatives Funding proposals, submitted using the Funding Request Form, must be complete with the following:
- Name of Forum
- Purpose of Forum
- Date, Time, and Location
- Sponsoring Club(s)
- Contact Person(s)
- Cosponsoring Clubs and Departments
- General description of proposed event. Be sure to explain how this activity supports the academic and cultural interests of students.
- Estimated Number of Attendees
- What Translation and Interpretation’s role will be regarding interpretation
- Marketing Plan
- Students are encouraged to seek funding from respective programs and departments before applying for funds through the Student Council.
- The Student Council will vote on an approved amount to award for each presentation. Students are strongly encouraged to not provide any significant financial compensation to speakers.
- If an applicant is applying for a second community initiative within the same academic year, priority consideration will be given to those who have not received forum funds.
- Your group/club may not receive the full funding amount requested.