The Freeman East Asia Internship Fund will make available ten $5,000 awards to support students as Freeman Foundation Fellows, to undertake internship or practica in East Asia during the 2017–2018 academic year or summer 2018.
$5,000 Freeman East Asia Internship Award
The recipients of the lump-sum cash prize will be selected by a faculty committee on a competitive basis, with priority consideration given to applicants with an internship offer in hand.
Interested students will submit an application including the following:
- A résumé
- An essay (no more than 1,000 words) on
- your internship or practicum;
- how this experience relates to your study at MIIS and your professional interests and aspirations; and
- how this fellowship would give you exposure to, and first-time work experience in, the region and selected country. The Freeman Foundation’s goal is to provide students with exposure to a country in East Asia where they have little to no experience.
- Proof of an internship offer, such as an offer letter from the organization with a brief description of the internship.
Parameters for the award:
- Fellows should have secured a position for an internship or practicum that is at least six weeks in duration and part of the student’s degree program. J-term internships or practica are not eligible as they do not meet the minimum duration requirement.
- East Asian countries include Cambodia, China (including Taiwan), Indonesia, Japan, Laos, Malaysia, Mongolia, Philippines, Russian Far East, Singapore, South Korea, Thailand, and Vietnam.
- Non-U.S. citizens are eligible; however, this funding cannot be used for students returning to their home country.
- Students must be currently enrolled during their fellowship.
- Students who receive the Freeman award must be in good academic standing.
- Students should be able to demonstrate financial need. Since the Freeman award is given to students based on work associated with a class, it is considered financial aid. If you received financial aid (accepted the full amount of loans you were offered) for the course, your aid may be adjusted and the grant may not be paid to you directly. Rather, the grant may be used to pay off the loans that were previously awarded to you.
- Fellows must complete a short survey regarding the internship experience, which will be sent via email from Meghan Rasmussen.
- If you receive the Freeman award, you are not eligible for any other Immersive Professional Learning (IPL) funding for the same experience.
- Students can only receive a Freeman award once during their time at MIIS.
- September 1: Fall semester internships/practica
- November 10: Spring semester internships/practica
- April 13: Summer internships/practica
Winners will be announced approximately two to three weeks after each deadline. Contact Stacie Riley in the Vice President’s Office with any questions.