Freeman Foundation Award
$5,000 Freeman East Asia Internship Award
The Freeman East Asia Internship Fund will make available nine $5,000 awards to support MIIS students as Freeman Foundation Fellows, to undertake internships or practica in East Asia during the 2022-2023 academic year or Summer 2023. The recipients of the lump-sum cash prize will be selected by a faculty committee on a competitive basis.
Middlebury-sponsored international travel will be permitted under under the rules of the international travel policy. Travelers should be attentive to the COVID-19 situation in their destination and are subject to all host country travel restrictions and quarantine requirements.
International travelers are also reminded of the requirement to register their travel in Middlebury’s Travel Registration system.
Interested students will submit an application including the following:
- A résumé
- An essay (no more than 1,000 words) on
- your internship or practicum;
- how this experience relates to your study at MIIS and your professional interests and aspirations; and
- how this fellowship would give you exposure to, and first-time work experience in, the region and selected country. The Freeman Foundation’s goal is to provide students with exposure to a country in East Asia where they have little to no experience.
- Proof of an internship offer, such as an offer letter from the organization with a brief description of the internship. This letter does not need to accompany the application; however, if you are granted the award, you must submit the letter prior to receiving the funds.
Parameters for the award:
- Fellows should have secured a position for an internship or practicum that is at least six weeks in duration and related to the student’s degree program. J-term internships or practica are not eligible as they do not meet the minimum duration requirement.
- East Asian countries include Cambodia, China (including Taiwan), Indonesia, Japan, Laos, Malaysia, Mongolia, Philippines, Singapore, South Korea, Thailand, and Vietnam.
- Non-U.S. citizens are eligible; however, this funding cannot be used for students returning to their home country.
- Students must be currently enrolled during their fellowship.
- Students who receive the Freeman award must be in good academic standing.
- Students should be able to demonstrate financial need. Since the Freeman award is given to students based on work associated with a class, it is considered financial aid. If you received financial aid (accepted the full amount of loans you were offered) for the course, your aid may be adjusted and the grant may not be paid to you directly. Rather, the grant may be used to pay off the loans that were previously awarded to you.
- Fellows must complete a short survey regarding the internship experience, which will be sent via email from Meghan Rasmussen, Director of Sponsored Programs.
- If you receive the Freeman award, you are not eligible for any other Experiential Learning (EL) funding for the same experience.
- Students can only receive a Freeman award once during their time at MIIS.
- September 1: Fall 2022 semester internships/practica
- November 10: Spring 2023 semester internships/practica
- May 1: Summer 2023 semester internships/practica
See examples of past Freeman Foundation Fellows. Watch a recent info session with the MIIS Freeman Award Committee.
Winners will be announced approximately two to three weeks after each deadline. Contact Stacie Riley in the Vice President’s Office with any questions.