Develop a deeper understanding of the blue economy, and what it means to our world.
The blue economy describes a way of thinking about sustainably generating wealth from the ocean. Whether you are a policy maker, fisher, scientist, or technologist, this introductory course is designed to teach a shared understanding of what comprises the blue economy, and how we might manage it, measure its output, and finance it. This three- to five-hour self-paced course will expand your knowledge of the blue economy and lay a foundation for deeper learning in more specialized topics.
Learn Online on Your Schedule
The Introduction to the Blue Economy course is completely online, asynchronous, and self-paced. You’ll enjoy the flexibility to learn on your own time, from anywhere in the world.
In this course you will learn:
- The diverse components that define the blue economy.
- The challenges of managing complex social and economic systems as they work together.
- The fundamentals of ocean accounting and how this evolving field can keep track of the contributions of the blue economy.
- The basics of the rapidly evolving field of blue economy finance that brings together public and private finance to provide the resources needed.
This Course Is for You If …
- You are a professional in any field with interest in or responsibility for ocean and coastal policy.
- You are interested in learning about current important ideas about the ocean.
- You want to learn the fundamentals of ocean accounting.
- You are looking for a basic understanding of financial resources for ocean environmental conservation.
- You want an overview of the blue economy before exploring more detailed subjects.
- Type / Modality: Online
- Estimated completion time: 3–5 hours
- Number of modules: 4
- Language of instruction: English
- Activities and content: Video lessons, readings, short knowledge checks, case studies, and self-reflection activities.
- Technical prerequisites: A networked computer or mobile device is required, as is the capability to stream multimedia audio and video.
- Completion rewards: After you successfully complete this course, you’ll earn a certificate of completion and a badge to share on your social media profiles and with current and potential employers.
- Registration price: $99
- Limited time discounted price: $59
- Middlebury Institute admitted students: students admitted to our master’s degree programs can register for free; check your MIcommunity admitted students group for more info!
- Middlebury Institute current students, faculty, staff: register for free.