The Professional Certificate in Spanish Community Interpreting prepares participants for successful careers in the high-demand job market for trained community interpreters.
Gain New Skills and Sharpen Existing Ones
In just nine months, you will gain the skills necessary for a rewarding career in legal or medical interpreting. California is the largest employer of community interpreters in the United States, with average annual salaries of $61,500.*
The Middlebury Institute Advantage
Our low-residency program is intentionally designed so that you can attend classes without giving up your current job.
- Complete four online modules, and then attend a final one-week residency in Monterey.
- Choose to specialize in either legal or medical interpreting.
- Learn from our expert faculty, who are also practitioners in the field.
In this recording of an online discussion, we review the career outlook for Spanish medical and legal interpreters in the U.S., including compensation data and career management frameworks. Watch the video.
Application is live!
Follow the steps below to access the application:
- Start your online application
- Please select one: Middlebury Institute of International Studies
- I confirm that I am applying to: Non-Degree or Certificate
- What level are you applying for?: Spanish Community Interpreting
- Please select one: Fall 2021
Curriculum and Schedule for 2021-2022
Fall 2021: Core Courses
- Module One (August 23 - October 17): Basic Interpreting Techniques
- Module Two (October 25 - December 19): Community Interpreting as a Profession
Spring 2022: Choose Your Track
- Module Three (January 31 - March 27): Medical Concepts and Terminology
- Module Four (April 4 - May 29): Written and Sight Translation of Medical Texts
- Module Three (January 31 - March 27): Legal Concepts and Terminology
- Module Four (April 4 - May 29): Translation and Interpreting in Court Settings
June 2022: Residency in Monterey
- Medical Track (June 13 - 17): Medical Interpreting Workshop (5 days)
- Legal Track (June 6 - 10): Legal Interpreting Workshop (5 days)
- Request info
- To apply, visit our How to Apply page and follow the on-screen instructions to begin.
- Fall 2021 cohort applications are currently being accepted. Deadline to apply is July 1, 2021.
- In addition to a completed application, prior to admission you will submit an online Language and Skills Test to determine your bilingual language proficiency.
- Cost: $5,000
- Payment plans are available.
- Workforce development funds may be available from your community.
Contact us if you have any questions.
*Data source: Mean salaries for medical and legal interpreters in California for 12-month period March 2019 – February 2020 from Burning Glass® Technologies.