The Professional Certificate in Spanish Community Interpreting prepares participants for successful careers in the high-demand job market for trained community interpreters.
Gain New Skills and Sharpen Existing Ones
In just nine months, you will gain the skills necessary for a rewarding career in legal or medical interpreting. California is the largest employer of community interpreters in the United States, with average annual salaries of $61,500.*
The Middlebury Institute Advantage
Our low-residency program is intentionally designed so that you can attend classes without giving up your current job.
- Complete four online modules, and then attend a final one-week residency in Monterey.
- Choose to specialize in either legal or medical interpreting.
- Learn from our expert faculty, who are also practitioners in the field.
In this recording of an online discussion, we review the career outlook for Spanish medical and legal interpreters in the U.S., including compensation data and career management frameworks. Watch the video.
Applications are currently closed and will reopen for 2024-2025 in November. If you would like to join the mailing list for program updates, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Curriculum and Schedule for 2024-2025
Fall 2024: Core Courses
- Module One (August 19 - October 14, 2024): Basic Interpreting Techniques
- Module Two (October 28 - December 20, 2024): Community Interpreting as a Profession
Spring 2025: Choose Your Track
- Module Three (January 29 - March 24, 2025): Medical Concepts and Terminology
- Module Four (April 7 - May 26, 2025): Written and Sight Translation of Medical Texts
- Module Three (January 27 - March 24, 2025): Legal Concepts and Terminology
- Module Four (April 1 - May 26, 2025): Translation and Interpreting in Court Settings
June 2025: Residency in Monterey
- Medical Track (June 2 - 6, 2025): Medical Interpreting Workshop (5 days)
- Legal Track (June 2 - 6, 2025): Legal Interpreting Workshop (5 days)
- Request info
- Follow these steps to apply.
- In addition to a completed application, prior to admission you will submit an online Language and Skills Test to determine your bilingual language proficiency.
- Cost: $5,750
- Installment Payments Plans available
- Workforce development funds may be available from your community.
Contact us if you have any questions.
*Data source: Mean salaries for medical and legal interpreters in California for 12-month period March 2019 – February 2020 from Burning Glass® Technologies.