The Professional Certificate in Spanish Community Interpreting prepares participants for successful careers in the high-demand job market for trained community interpreters.
Gain New Skills and Sharpen Existing Ones
In just nine months, you will gain the skills necessary for a rewarding career in legal or medical interpreting. California is the largest employer of community interpreters in the United States, with average annual salaries of $61,500.*
The Middlebury Institute Advantage
Our low-residency program is intentionally designed so that you can attend classes without giving up your current job.
- Complete four online modules, and then attend a final one-week residency in Monterey.
- Choose to specialize in either legal or medical interpreting.
- Learn from our expert faculty, who are also practitioners in the field.
In this recording of an online discussion, we review the career outlook for Spanish medical and legal interpreters in the U.S., including compensation data and career management frameworks. Watch the video.
The fall 2022 application is now closed. The application for fall 2023 will open in January.
Curriculum and Schedule for 2022-2023
Fall 2022: Core Courses
- Module One (August 22 - October 16, 2022): Basic Interpreting Techniques
- Module Two (October 24 - December 18, 2022): Community Interpreting as a Profession
Spring 2023: Choose Your Track
- Module Three (January 30 - March 26, 2023): Medical Concepts and Terminology
- Module Four (April 3 - May 28, 2023): Written and Sight Translation of Medical Texts
- Module Three (January 30 - March 26, 2023): Legal Concepts and Terminology
- Module Four (April 3 - May 28, 2023): Translation and Interpreting in Court Settings
June 2023: Residency in Monterey
- Medical Track (June 5 - 9, 2023): Medical Interpreting Workshop (5 days)
- Legal Track (June 5 - 9, 2023): Legal Interpreting Workshop (5 days)
- Request info
- The Fall 2022 application is now closed. Our Fall 2023 application will open in January.
- In addition to a completed application, prior to admission you will submit an online Language and Skills Test to determine your bilingual language proficiency.
- Cost: $5,250
- Payment plans are available.
- Workforce development funds may be available from your community.
Contact us if you have any questions.
*Data source: Mean salaries for medical and legal interpreters in California for 12-month period March 2019 – February 2020 from Burning Glass® Technologies.