To apply, visit our online application portal and follow the on-screen instructions to sign in.
To help you prepare, please review the following information and our application deadlines.
Watch our videos on how to apply and how to finance your education. We also include customized instructions for international students.
Online application, which includes the following:
One letter of recommendation (two preferred)
Interview in person or via Skype (if needed)
GRE or GMAT scores (not required)
TOEFL or IELTS scores (required only for nonnative English speakers)
Language and Skills Test (required if you are taking translation courses to fulfill the language requirement)
In-country experience (only if you are taking translation courses to fulfill the language requirement)
We require one essay highlighting your career objectives and how your background fits with the program and the Institute. To find out the specific question, please start your application.
Your résumé or CV should highlight your educational background and professional experience, including voluntary work and internships, in one or two pages. Most of our graduate programs do not have specific professional experience requirements.
To be considered for merit and need-based scholarships, please include personal scholarship statements with your online application. To find out the details of the scholarship statements, please start your application.
Through our online application, you will be able to pay the $65 application fee with a credit or debit card. We accept Visa, MasterCard, and American Express credit or debit cards. Application fee waivers are available for students affiliated with our partner organizations or schools.
Digital copies of your (official or unofficial) transcripts can be uploaded to your online application or emailed to email@example.com to expedite the review of your application. If admitted, you will need to ensure that your official transcripts are mailed directly to our office (address below) or sent via e-transcript to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Middlebury Institute of International Studies
Attn: Admissions Office
460 Pierce Street
Monterey, CA 93940
If you are currently attending a bachelor’s degree program, we can grant you admission with the condition that you satisfactorily complete your degree and provide final official transcripts.
If your college or university does not provide original transcripts, we will accept certified copies. Please provide certified English translations for non-English language transcripts.
Although we only require one letter of recommendation for admission, we strongly encourage you to submit two. We accept recommendations from both academic and professional references, such as university professors, employers, supervisors, or commanding officers. Please provide the contact details for one or two recommenders through your online application. Your references will receive an email requesting that they submit the letter of recommendation through an online form.
Submit your online application to access our guide on How to Ace Your Admissions Interview. If you have already submitted your application and have not received the guide please contact your enrollment advisor.
We do not require GRE or GMAT scores for our master’s programs. However, competitive scores may strengthen your application and positively influence scholarship decisions.
Please use our four-digit institution code  to send us your scores.
If English is not your first language, you must provide evidence of English proficiency from either the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) examinations. Your scores are valid for two years after the test date.
- TOEFL preferred minimum: 100 overall
- IELTS preferred minimum: 7.0 overall
TOEFL/IELTS exemptions are automatically granted to applicants who have completed a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in the United States, Australia, Canada (except Quebec), Ireland, the United Kingdom, New Zealand, or Singapore. Please contact your enrollment advisor if you have any questions.
You can submit your online application without your TOEFL or IELTS scores and provide them later via email@example.com.
If you are pursuing translation courses to satisfy the language requirement:
- Requires native or near-native abilities in each of your languages of study.
- You will submit a Language and Skills Test (LST) to demonstrate proficiency in your first and second languages.
- If you wish to take courses in a third language (using electives), you will need to take an additional LST for this “C” language.
- We highly recommend that you have more than six months of in-country experience using each of your languages of study.
If you are pursuing language studies courses to satisfy the language requirement:
- Requires at least intermediate-high level of proficiency in a second language.
- If your second language is Arabic, Chinese, French, Japanese, or Spanish, you will take an online test of your proficiency. You will receive access to the online test within a few days of submitting your online application.
- If your second language is English, you will need to submit TOEFL or IELTS scores.
- If your second language is Russian or another language not mentioned above, you will submit a writing sample as part of your online application and complete a phone interview after you submit your application. Our language faculty will contact you by phone or email to arrange the interview.
You may be eligible to complete the degree in only two semesters through advanced entry, if you meet the following requirements:
- Two or more years of work experience in a full-time professional role, ideally in, but not limited to, the language services industry (translation, interpretation, or project management)
- Experience with at least one desktop CAT tool or TMS (e.g., Trados Studio, memoQ, or WorldServer)
- Familiarity with typical workflows, like website, brochure, software, and/or subtitle localization