Welcome to the Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey.
Choose Your Format
The Middlebury Institute offers in-person, online, and hybrid instruction to allow students maximum flexibility during the pandemic. Learn more about our return to campus.
Submit Your Tuition Deposit
Visit your online application to submit your tuition deposit.
MIcommunity is the private social network for the Institute. Admitted students, current students, staff, and faculty utilize the space to connect, share, and collaborate. Once MIcommunity opens for your cohort (see below), you will receive an email invite to join.
- For fall 2022 admits, MIcommunity is currently open.
Experience your new community firsthand before your program starts. We have in-person and virtual options for you to visit us.
Connect with an Alum or Current Student
Get advice from people who have been where you are; reach out to your enrollment advisor to be connected to an alum or current student.
Talk to Your Faculty
Our faculty bring academic expertise and extensive professional experience to the classroom. Moreover, our favorable student-to-faculty ratio means that you can get personal mentorship throughout your time at the Institute. You should have already received an email from your program chair (or you will soon) and if you would like to speak to any other faculty please contact your enrollment advisor.
Many students work part-time. Positions range from being a research assistant in one of our centers to working as a student ambassador and supporting digital learning projects. Some roles are also available in a remote format. Learn more about work-study.
If you want to learn more about our career and academic advising process, please contact your advisor below. After you deposit you will be able to start your personalized journey to a fulfilling and exciting career with more detailed advice tailored to your specific career goals.
- International Education Management (in-person, online, and joint BA/IEM)
- International Environmental Policy (and joint BA/IEP)
- International Policy and Development (and joint BA/IPD)
- International Trade and Economic Diplomacy (and joint BA/ITED)
- MPA (and joint BA/MPA)
- Nonproliferation and Terrorism Studies (and joint BA/NPTS)
- Joint MPA/International Education Management
- Joint MPA/International Trade
- Joint International Policy and Development/International Trade
- TESOL (in-person and online) and Teaching Foreign Language
- Translation (T), Translation and Interpretation (TI), and Conference Interpretation (CI), Joint T/TLM, Joint TI/TLM, Joint CI/TLM
- Translation and Localization Management (TLM)
- Career advising for online students
- Career advising for onsite advanced entry students
- Career advising for students fulfilling the TLM language requirement with translation courses
- Career advising for the students fulfilling the TLM language requirement with language studies courses
- Academic advising for all TLM students
- Language Studies
Frequently Asked Questions
If you are being offered a scholarship, that information was included with your letter of admission.
Federal financial aid (open to U.S. citizens and permanent residents) is handled by Student Financial Services. Please make sure you’ve completed all necessary steps to be considered for federal financial aid. Spring financial aid packages generally start being sent in September; fall financial aid packages generally start being sent in February, after fall tuition is finalized.
If you have questions about loans or work-study, contact Student Financial Services. If you have questions about scholarships or your deposit deadline, please contact the Admissions Office.
If you have trouble submitting your deposit, please contact the cashier at (831) 647-6434 or email@example.com.
Review tuition information here and be sure to factor in any scholarships you have received. If you have questions about which tuition amount you will pay based on your program of admission or start date, please contact Student Financial Services.
If you have questions about the financial investment of your program, please explore how our Center for Advising and Career Services will support you in achieving your career goals. Faculty, alumni, and current students are great resources as you think about the importance of this investment in your future (see above for ways to connect).
Once students deposit, they are eligible to receive access to the private housing group open only to Middlebury Institute students. Access instructions will be regularly distributed to confirmed students beginning in May for fall admits and in October for spring admits. For now, we recommend exploring the Housing Guide.
If you have questions that aren’t answered on the website, feel free to contact Student Services.
Q How can I learn more about life on campus, arrival and orientation information, and health and wellness?
Explore the following topics for newly admitted students: